Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What HOMEBREW are you drinking right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

phirleh wrote:This one?
Yup, and today it is the CBC. They were hanging out at my house this morning for about an hour shooting footage for the news tonight. Then I'm doing their afternoon radio show, and they will also be stopping by the judging this evening to shoot more footage for a feature later in the week.

And CTV is already scheduled for Friday.

The media stuff is kinda fun, can't take it too serious, but also try to make homebrewing and craft beer seem cool and respectable.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

markaberrant wrote:
Yup, and today it is the CBC. They were hanging out at my house this morning for about an hour shooting footage for the news tonight. Then I'm doing their afternoon radio show, and they will also be stopping by the judging this evening to shoot more footage for a feature later in the week.

The media stuff is kinda fun, can't take it too serious, but also try to make homebrewing and craft beer seem cool and respectable.
What time on CBC, I have satelite so I can grab the local CBC out west?
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

phirleh wrote:
markaberrant wrote:

What time on CBC, I have satelite so I can grab the local CBC out west?
I'll be on CBC Radio One Saskatchewan somewhere between 6:30 - 8:00pm eastern. Can listen to it here - http://playerservices.streamtheworld.co ... _REG_H.pls

CBC TV News Saskatchewan runs at 7:00, 7:30 and 8:00pm eastern.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Very cool, I missed the TV one though, a death on the Go Train lines made for a 3.5 hour journey home.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Judged 17 Spice, Herb and Vegetable beers last night. Most interesting for me were a Hibiscus Wit (better the Dieu de Ciel's) and a Coconut, Lime and Curry Stout. Lots of coconut porters, pumpkin beers and xmas ales. I give full credit to anyone that attempts making a spiced beer, very tricky to get the balance just right, I have never made a good one myself.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Lots of Hefeweizen... my favourite thing for the summer.

I've been making a few Radlers when working in the sun, but the straight up hefe is good.

I dry-hopped 3 gallons with 1 oz citra, .5oz columbus and .5oz centennial... totally different, but quite nice for a summer hop fix.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Just poured the first taste of my Belgian Dark Strong into my new Westy 12 mini-goblet from the keg. 6 weeks since brewdate, 11.7%, extremely promising stuff, already tastes very good, tons of booze, but not hot whatsoever. In my experience, it is impossible to make a good one without using belgian dark candi syrup.

Also bottled off a keg of Belgian Blonde this morning, and of course had to have a sample - hoppy, very dry, 7.8%. Was able to get just over 3 vols of CO2 into this one; my Beergun worked like a champ, almost zero foaming, as long as I capped quickly. I had tried bottling it a few weeks ago with 3.5 vols, but too much foam.

Will likely have a glass or two of my belgian pale ale later.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

not drinking it quite yet, but I just kegged The Nightman Cometh after 10 days of dry hopping with 3oz of Citra, and 3oz of Chinook. And now i am celebrating the occasion with a bottle of Beer Here Dark Hops.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

just finished a wheat IPA, earlier i had some cider

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

a month after bottling, i tried my Funky Blonde (belgian blonde 2ndary ferment with brett brux and Cantillon dregs and, after 2 months, some JP dregs).

this beer was fermenting for 5 months in the carboy. i made it shortly into my homebrewing forray and i didn't expect much. also didn't expect much drinking it only 4 weeks after racking. but wow....the funk is so there...

i'd rather drink mine over Lindemans any day.

just wondering, though: those of you who brew with brett, do you find that it matters which primary yeast you use? will they impart much character after doing a 2ndary fermentation with brett? is the goal simply great attenuation with the primary?

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Bringing this one back. I'm drinking a black barleywine.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

J343MY wrote:Bringing this one back. I'm drinking a black barleywine.
i had J343MY's bourbon wood aged barley wine tonight and it was mind blowingly good. this guy can really brew!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

matt7215 wrote:i had J343MY's bourbon wood aged barley wine tonight and it was mind blowingly good. this guy can really brew!
Interesting, I currently have a barleywine sitting in a 6 gallon used whiskey barrel from our local micro distillery.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

matt7215 wrote: i had J343MY's bourbon wood aged barley wine tonight and it was mind blowingly good. this guy can really brew!
So when we trade again you want another bottle?