Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What HOMEBREW are you drinking right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I'm drinking 2 homebrewed saisons tonight. One is 4.5% and the other is 8.2%. Pretty much the same recipe, just doubled up for the bigger one. The lighter version is bone dry and is incredibly refreshing with a hoppy nose and lightly toasted finish (thanks to the amber malt). The bigger one is basically a Saison IPA, and despite finishing at 1.007 with 50 ibu has a good bit of mouthfeel and balancing malt sweetness.

Both were finished and dry hopped with Crystal and Willamette, which is creating quite a unqiue profile; neither the traditional earthy saison character, nor the tropical citrus character that we are now seeing in many americanized saisons and belgian IPAs.

Both beers kick some serious butt. I can't decide which I like better.

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

An EPA and AIPA. The "C" hops ( Centenial and Amarillo ) were all added from the 20 min. mark. Nice grapefuit aroma. Bitterness is subdued of course, but I like it.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Some ordinary bitter that I helped Jason Stranak make at the Amsterdam L2B event, very sessionable at 3.5% and great flavour.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

The last of my 4% All-Centennial Blonde.

My 5 gallons was all but decimated at my Christmas Party.. even the BMC'ers loved it. Going to have to be on constant rotation, especially since it's ready to drink 3 weeks after brewing.. in bottles!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

The Nightmare Before Christmas Ale - Could use a little more carbonation, but otherwise this stuff is fantastic
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

My pils, saison, and saison IPA are all drinking fantastic right now, and I expect to enjoy them right through the holidays, along with whatever else is in my fridge. Screw "christmas" beers, most of them suck.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Having a homebrew bitter before bed, after cleaning up from a brew night of a Belgian IPA.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Tony L

Post by Tony L »

Drinking a hoppy APA right now totally all cascade and planning on
brewing my Annual New Years Day IPA .

duncan

Post by duncan »

Drank a rotweizen over the holidaze. Very out of season, but I had a lot of wheat, and wheat yeast kicking around that I never got around to using during the summer.

Sitting on an altbock that is taking my life time to lager, and a just finished brewing a Belgian stout.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Right now i am drinking a homebrewed american brown ale. Brewed with some aromatic, choco, and victory malt. Bittered with chinook, and than cascade, amarillo, and liberty for aroma/flavor. Than dryhopped with a mix of the aroma and flavor hops. Its tasting very nice.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

ESB fermented with danstar windsor. I've finally coaxed a really good ale out of this strain.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Judged 4 english bitters yesterday. One was incredible, possibly the best bitter I have tasted (commercial or homebrew).

Later in the night, I made a beer milkshake with vanilla ice cream and and Belgian Red Strong (based on Biergotter's Monk's Elixir - http://biergotter.org/recipes/2009-09-19-monks.shtml)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I brewed an alt last weekend. It was at 1.017 this saturday and 1.014 on Sunday... I expected it to finish around 1.013, so when I racked to secondary, I filled a bottle as well.

I thought I'd let the bottle condition, but looking at the activity in the carboy I figured I should open it before it 'openned' itself.

Alts really do need lagering! It tastes a bit like pineapple soap (my 3 yr old said it tasted like olives).

jcc

Post by jcc »

Derek wrote: It tastes a bit like pineapple soap (my 3 yr old said it tasted like olives).
LOL. Sounds a bit like my meads (minus the olives part) after racking to secondary.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Sorry, I have to show off. This is my American Brown Ale from McDole's Janet's Brown recipe. This is my first pint only one week in the bottle, and it's perfect in every way. I'm making another batch stat! This is going to be on constant rotation.