Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What HOMEBREW are you drinking right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The other advantage is adjustable serving size.

I think if I had a keg, I'd probably have a DIPA on most of the time. I often feel like having a night cap (maybe 6-12oz), but most commercial one's are bombers!

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

My Deschutes Obsidian Stout clone.

The best American Stout I have ever tasted... unbelievable. This one is competition bound.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

just opened a Belgian single.

very nice blonde. very simple, incredibly drinkable with a meal due to its lower alcohol (around 4%).

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

An approximation of an Edmund Fitzgerald clone with about 6 months age on it. The sweetness seems to have dropped out a little and a drying, smoky character is becoming more prominent. I still really dig this beer - too bad this is the last bottle!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Had a bottle of my Elegant Bastard, a Stone clone, as I was bottling a candied ginger saison. The saison is tasting great. Downstairs I have a blood orange saison finishing primary. Next up, perhaps a Belgian IPA on that saison yeast cake.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

elproducto wrote:My Deschutes Obsidian Stout clone.

The best American Stout I have ever tasted... unbelievable. This one is competition bound.
What recipe did you use? I'm planning to do one in April.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert.

Seriously... I bottled that California ESB this morning. All Gambrinus ESB and citra hops.

I always thought the name 'citra' was a bit of a misnomer, as they often seem more tropical than citrusy... but fresh (and on their own), there's certainly a citronella-like aroma! Taste is lemony, but also tropical. Really nice.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

markaberrant wrote:
elproducto wrote:My Deschutes Obsidian Stout clone.

What recipe did you use? I'm planning to do one in April.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you ... ut-175379/

Straight from the horses mouth.

I'm going to brew it again, and add cold pressed coffee next time.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

elproducto wrote: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you ... ut-175379/

Straight from the horses mouth.

I'm going to brew it again, and add cold pressed coffee next time.
Thanks, pretty sure this is the one I have based my recipe on. Had a pint of Obsidian Stout at a burger joint in McKinney, TX last month, definitely stands out as one of the single best stouts I have ever tasted.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

Blew my keg of licorice Imperial stout bottling off a few, so had to drink the 4/5 filled bottle. :) I'm going to bottle a barleywine brewed in fall 2010 in a few minutes, and expect to have the same 'problem'.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

KwaiLo wrote:Blew my keg of licorice Imperial stout bottling off a few, so had to drink the 4/5 filled bottle. :) I'm going to bottle a barleywine brewed in fall 2010 in a few minutes, and expect to have the same 'problem'.
It's a tough life!
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

almost done my batch of Big IPA with Galaxy, loved the way this one turned out

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

So I cracked open a bottle of Brooklyn Brewshop's Chocolate Maple Porter this weekend. One intentional change to the recipe was doubling the maple. One unintentional change was a second package of different yeast due to lack of apparent fermentation. Given that I was relieved to hear a "psst!" when opening the bottle and a decent head when poured. Looked like a porter, smelled like a porter and tasted like a porter, just didn't taste like a maple porter. The maple was very, very subtle. I was hoping for something noticeable, more so than say Nickelbrook's Maple Porter and Granville Islands Maple Cream.

Years ago when brewing with friends we did a vanilla cream ale that initially didn't have much vanilla flavouring upon first sampling. Later on, can't remember the time difference, the vanilla was readily apparent. I'm hoping that this will be the case here.
lister

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

lister wrote:Looked like a porter, smelled like a porter and tasted like a porter, just didn't taste like a maple porter. The maple was very, very subtle. I was hoping for something noticeable, more so than say Nickelbrook's Maple Porter and Granville Islands Maple Cream.
from what i've heard, maple is tricky as it tends to mostly ferment out and not leave you with much "maple" character left behind. adding more and more syrup ends up thinning out the brew and not adding much maple. your best bet is to use lower-grade syrups (which tend to be more intensely "maple" and not ferment quite as far) and consider things like fenugreek that can lend some maple character.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

grub wrote:from what i've heard, maple is tricky as it tends to mostly ferment out and not leave you with much "maple" character left behind. adding more and more syrup ends up thinning out the brew and not adding much maple. your best bet is to use lower-grade syrups (which tend to be more intensely "maple" and not ferment quite as far) and consider things like fenugreek that can lend some maple character.
Actually I did use lower-grade syrup, the usual table syrup available at grocery stores, as I didn't want to waste the good stuff on my first brew. I haven't heard of fenugreek. I'll probably revisit this in the fall upping the syrup amount and maybe try adding in some fenugreek.
lister