Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What HOMEBREW are you drinking right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm enjoying a DIPA inspired by this article:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/a ... bleIPA.pdf

I greatly simplified the recipe. Actually I just used what I had lying around for supplies!

5-gal:

14lbs 2 row pale
1/2 lb Crystal 77
BIAB Mash
US-05 yeast

About a bushel of Amarillo and Cascade :D
I attempted a constant hopping regimen over 60 minutes. It worked out very well. The hops are very present, but not too bitter. the Cascade dry hop addition really brings this beer to life.

He preaches adding dextrose. I didn't. I ended up with a really drinkable 7.5 ABV v.s. a hoppy barely wine. Perhaps not true to the style, but tasty!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

All leaf hop Cascade SMASH IPA - Taken a couple months but its balanced out nicely
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

My Hazed & Confused rye pale ale.

With plenty of citra it's certainly unique.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Derek wrote:My Hazed & Confused rye pale ale.

With plenty of citra it's certainly unique.
I love the citra...

I'm drinking my 12th all-grain batch. It's kind of a dunkel with close to half pilsner, close to half wheat, some chocolate malt, hopped with saaz and dry hopped with Sorachi, tastes great. It was the fourth batch I fermented on one WL300 yeast cake.

I have two batches of CDA dry hopped with citra that I need to bottle on Sunday.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I currently have the following on tap in my kegerator:

DIPA - hopped with equal amounts of amarillo, simcoe and zeus

Sour Baltic Porter - possibly my best sour beer yet, and I have made some pretty damn good ones if I don't mind saying so.

Hefeweizen - threw in a pack each of 3068 and 3638 for 9 gallons, fermented at 62F, still lots of banana, would try 58F next time. Still an awesome beer.

Dry Hopped Hefeweizen - added sugar to boost the abv to 8.5%, then dryhopped with 1oz of Amarillo. Pretty interesting stuff, was going for somthing similar to the New Glarus Unplugged Imperial Weizen (dry hopped with Cascades).

I have my pseudo Pilsner kegged and "lagering," and my Altbier just finished fermenting, so I should be set for summer! Gonna brew up 2 big stouts (targeting 1.075 and 1.115) in the next couple weeks for drinking in late fall/winter.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

markaberrant wrote:
Sour Baltic Porter - possibly my best sour beer yet, and I have made some pretty damn good ones if I don't mind saying so.
how was this soured?

ive never been a big fan of sour and roast together but its an idea that seems tobe gaining popularity

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

matt7215 wrote:
markaberrant wrote:
how was this soured?

ive never been a big fan of sour and roast together but its an idea that seems tobe gaining popularity
I used the dregs from my Flanders Red Solera, which contains Roeselare and various comercial bugs (Cantillon, Lindemans, etc). Baltic Porter should not be overly roasty; the recipe was munich and vienna for the base, with a bit of caramunich, pale chocolate and carafa special II. Turned out like a chocolately doppelbock, tons of malty dark fruit and licorice with some smooth nutty, chocolate notes. 40 IBU and the original lager yeast only brought it down to 1.024. See the reviews of the base beer here: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/55157, and http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/sierra-nev ... er/117566/.

The bugs brought it down to 1.012, so there is a nice sweet/sour thing going on.

I agree, I wouldn't use an overly roasty base beer, nor would I want it overly bitter, or thin bodied.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

That Baltic sounds awesome.

I'm drinking some Alt.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:That Baltic sounds awesome.
I served it to a group of beer geeks at my place a few weeks ago, 5 of 6 are BJCP judges, and most are quite familiar with sours. I was told this might be the best they have tasted, and I would have to agree (though my latest Flanders Red is REALLY good too).

I also used the sour balitc last weekend to make a killer marinade along with some Franks Hot Sauce, then reduced it down and added some brown sugar to make a wicked BBQ sauce!

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

markaberrant wrote:I currently have the following on tap in my kegerator:

DIPA - hopped with equal amounts of amarillo, simcoe and zeus

Hefeweizen - threw in a pack each of 3068 and 3638 for 9 gallons, fermented at 62F, still lots of banana, would try 58F next time. Still an awesome beer.

Dry Hopped Hefeweizen - added sugar to boost the abv to 8.5%, then dryhopped with 1oz of Amarillo. Pretty interesting stuff, was going for somthing similar to the New Glarus Unplugged Imperial Weizen (dry hopped with Cascades).

I have my pseudo Pilsner kegged and "lagering," and my Altbier just finished fermenting, so I should be set for summer! Gonna brew up 2 big stouts (targeting 1.075 and 1.115) in the next couple weeks for drinking in late fall/winter.
Man, how do you get through a keg of something as big as a baltic porter? I'm afraid to keg anything big, because it would take me forever to get through. Sounds awesome though, I really need to get brewing some sours. I have a pack of Roselare sitting at home waiting to get pitched.

I'm drinking the hell out of my Green Flash West Coast IPA clone, love the "dank". Best IPA I have brewed yet, and I've brewed a ton!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

elproducto wrote:Man, how do you get through a keg of something as big as a baltic porter? I'm afraid to keg anything big, because it would take me forever to get through. Sounds awesome though, I really need to get brewing some sours. I have a pack of Roselare sitting at home waiting to get pitched.
I actually started out with 15 gallons of kegged baltic porter.

I keg everything to get consistent carbonation, plus it is way easier to deal with. I have 7 kegs and 4 taps (1 is dedicated for sour beer). If I need to free up a keg, I'll bottle off a big beer using my Beer Gun.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

markaberrant wrote:
elproducto wrote:Man, how do you get through a keg of something as big as a baltic porter? I'm afraid to keg anything big, because it would take me forever to get through. Sounds awesome though, I really need to get brewing some sours. I have a pack of Roselare sitting at home waiting to get pitched.
I actually started out with 15 gallons of kegged baltic porter.

I keg everything to get consistent carbonation, plus it is way easier to deal with. I have 7 kegs and 4 taps (1 is dedicated for sour beer). If I need to free up a keg, I'll bottle off a big beer using my Beer Gun.
Awesome, I only have 4 kegs, and 3 taps (hope to build a 6 tap keezer soon), so I don't like to tie up a keg with a big beer. I really need to get brewing some sours, I only have one Jolly Pumpkin left from my trip to the USA. Love the funk.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Drained the growler of (Frozen) Wet hopped British Pale Ale, all Fuggle except the wet hop Cascade, followed up with an Amarillo SMaSH.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Drained the growler of (Frozen) Wet hopped British Pale Ale, all Fuggle except the wet hop Cascade, followed up with an Amarillo SMaSH.
Which malt did you use in your Amarillo SMaSH?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

G&P's Canadian 2 Row