Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What HOMEBREW are you drinking right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Thanks Icemachine...I've done a couple SMaSH with 2 row and was quite pleased. Right now I am wondering what would happen if I used Weyermann's Munich Malt in a SMaSh.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

dutchcanuck wrote:Right now I am wondering what would happen if I used Weyermann's Munich Malt in a SMaSh.
I am guessing a tasty beer would be produced?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

5 Ga bottling bucket, but over 5.5 Ga of Weizenbock... What would you do?

After a pint of flat Weizenbock, I had enough... so I watered the rest down with club soda and enjoyed 4 pints of dunkelwiesse!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Derek wrote:5 Ga bottling bucket, but over 5.5 Ga of Weizenbock... What would you do?

After a pint of flat Weizenbock, I had enough... so I watered the rest down with club soda and enjoyed 4 pints of dunkelwiesse!
i would have racked to a growler and saved it for future blending

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Brewed up a light hoppy blonde and an altbier of sorts back in May. Recently tapped the kegs, both are ok, but not mind blowing. So I blended the kegs and now I've got some sorta wicked Boston/Brooklyn Lager thing going on (but even fresher, maltier, hoppier and more bitter). Really digging it.

I'm liking it so much that I'm gonna try combining the two recipes into a single recipe for next time.

Dokta Owange

Post by Dokta Owange »

Strawberry IPA :D

jcc

Post by jcc »

My first saison. Fairly simple recipe. Fermented with Wyeast 3711 and dry hopped with Saaz hops. Spicy and refreshing. Very happy with this one.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

jcc wrote:My first saison. Fairly simple recipe. Fermented with Wyeast 3711 and dry hopped with Saaz hops. Spicy and refreshing. Very happy with this one.
Great to hear!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

jcc

Post by jcc »

cannondale wrote:
jcc wrote:My first saison. Fairly simple recipe. Fermented with Wyeast 3711 and dry hopped with Saaz hops. Spicy and refreshing. Very happy with this one.
Great to hear!
Thanks for giving me that yeast. Love it.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Still drinking my brown ale...but tonight I used it as a "base" for a bolongese, and it worked out quite nicely.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

currently drinking a belgian dark single:

6#s Pilsner DME
8oz Cara Munich
8oz Dark Candied sugar

1 oz French Strisselspalt 60 min
2 oz French Strisselspalt 1 min

Wyeast Trappist High Gravity #3787

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

just finished a bottle of mix fruit lambic

5 gallons of unblended lambic sat for 9 months on 1 kg of raspberries, 1 kg of blue berries and 1 kg of blackberries

its been in the bottle for just over 2 months and is still at least another 2 months from being ready

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I decided to try something different and brewed a mild. I'm quite impressed with the result. I'm not a big brown ale fan and haven't had a mild in North America that floored me. I know Mill Race is highly regarded, but I find it boring. The new mild at Granite is a pretty good one and it inspired me to try and brew one with the characteristics I like which are.

More body
Less malt sweetness, but not hop forward either.

I guess I'd say I was chasing for a lower alcohol beer with flavour and body more than a true traditional mild.

I have had a few house mild oversees and found the occasional one that worked for me. The one I brewed seems to have done the trick.

I managed to break free of too much maltiness by adding a little flaked rye and some oats. The oats helped with the body and the rye gives the flavour a little edge and both help with the head retention. The final beer arrived at 3.2% and a gravity of 1.009. It's not as heavy a body as I was targeting, but the creaminess from the oats creates a nice perception of body.

If I were to change anything, I would have left it to condition a little longer. I know it's considered a style served 'young', but I can see this improving with an extra week or two of conditioning.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Imperial porter (based on Flying Dog Gonzo). Just poured my first pint. Delicious. Roasty, malty balanced nicely with the bitterness, and a pile of Cascade on the nose. Dangerous stuff at a little over 9% ABV!

Very excited to know I have another 5 gallons of this on tap...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

matt7215 wrote:brewing this flanders red either this weekend or next:

3 lbs pilsner
3 lbs munich
3 lbs vienna
1 lb light wheat
0.5 lbs crystal 60L
0.5 lbs crystal 120L

1 oz saaz @ 60min

Wyeast 3763 Roselare
currently drinking a bottle of ^this^ that i brewed last may, its in excellent form and i cant wait to see how it matures in the coming years