Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stainlees Steel Kegs for Brew Kettles

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lawson

Stainlees Steel Kegs for Brew Kettles

Post by Lawson »

Hi,

I'm new to Bartowel, and am wondering if anyone may be in need of some Stainless Steel kegs.

Here is a link to my Kijiji postings: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-PostersOther ... dZ45665162

If anyone is in need of keg parts, just wants to chat about keg stuffffff....

Cheers!

Lager Bore

Post by Lager Bore »

Wow! Where do you get your kegs from?

Lawson

Post by Lawson »

Mostly south of the border. Are you interested in anything?

Cheeers!

Lager Bore

Post by Lager Bore »

I got a 50L on a recent "8-pack" sent to some T.O. SOB's.
Do you ever get any 58L? I'd like to have that little bit of extra room...

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Lager Bore - going by the wording in the ad linked to in the original post I am pretty sure that Lawson is the same guy the SOBs bought from (including me - I got a 50L and look forward to converting it).

Lawson

Post by Lawson »

Took me a moment to realize what you both meant by SOB.s :)

Yes, I remember that, that was me. I hope you can convert these suitably.

I do come across 58.6 L occasionally. None at the moment, unfortunately.

Lager Bore

Post by Lager Bore »

Gedge, thought you were taking the angle grinder route. I'm lining up a welder to plasma cut mine. Worst case Ontario I'm jigsawing; hope to be done by end April. Would you be interested in the plasma cutting option?

Lawson, I'd be up for at least two 15.5 gallon kegs. There's a lot of people signing up on our SOB mailing list; I think there's a definite interest for the larger 15.5 gal. keg.

Cheers!

Lawson

Post by Lawson »

I'm thinking of using some cutting torches to cut a number of the lids off these 50L.

Is it best to cut as close to the outside rim as possible? Or, best to leave an inch or so from outside? I think I've seen it done both ways.

Lager Bore- Good to know, and I will set some aside when I come across them.

Lager Bore

Post by Lager Bore »

I hope those more experienced will chime in here, but I believe you want at least a foot diameter to get a typical false bottom in there.
A lip of a couple inches would also serve to give some structural strength but here I am truly talking out my ass.

Lager Bore

Post by Lager Bore »

Cutting the top off a keg is really easy. It took about one hour at a very relaxed pace to cut the top off of my 50L keg. We just used a typical titanium drill bit big enough to get a jigsaw blade in.
We drilled about ten holes around the top of the keg as guides, and just cut from one hole to the next with the jigsaw. It took two blades. Make sure they're for metal. Cutting oil of some kind helps. Hippies will want to use mineral oil but we used 10w30.
All that remains is to smooth the edges with a grinder.

We were surprised how close to the edge we could cut, even with the bulk of the jigsaw. We just angled the bottom guide and had at it.
It's easy.

Cheers

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

It is very easy to cut off the tops with an angle grinder as well. If you have a few to do, you can make a fixture that will loop over the valve and hold the dia you want.

When I do the next ones, I will make the hole much smaller, approx 10", as it is easier to find lids of this size. You then take the angle grinder and make a slit on each side of the top towards the edge, so that the false bottom can still get through the opening.

Lawson

Post by Lawson »

Okay, well I now use a combination of a cutting wheel on my grinder then a grinding wheel on my grinder, to smooth the edges.
Seems to work pretty well. I can only cut about two kegs per cutting wheel, but... I can get as close to the wall of the keg as 1 inch, leaving approx 14 inch dia. opening. Some guys have requested an 8 or 10 inch also. Just posted some cut-top kegs on Kijiji too, btw.

Cheers!