Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Homebrew supplies Ontario

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

elproducto

Homebrew supplies Ontario

Post by elproducto »

Ready to jump in with both feet and start homebrewing.

Where does everyone get their supplies for homebrewing? Especially the ingredients, malt, hops etc.

I live 2.5 hours north of Toronto.

Thanks, and cheers!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I'll add..

http://www.homebrewgearcanada.com/ (fairly wide range of products)

http://www.beerandwinefilter.com/ (bulk hops, yeast, etc.)

http://www.canpages.ca/page/ON/scarboro ... 42299.html (bulk grains)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Thanks all.

I did search the forums, but some of the posts were fairly old. I'm shocked at how little availablity there is of supplies in Ontario.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I've heard that mashing heads was good, but their website says temporarily unavailable? Weird.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I don't think Mashing Heads has been selling supplies for a few months now.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I've heard that mashing heads was good, but their website says temporarily unavailable? Weird.
yeah... which reminds me, they still owe me a refund or the goods for an order i placed back in march...

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Seems to be real hit and miss for supplies in Ontario.

I just posted a similar thread specifically looking for stuff in Mississauga. I shop in London where there happens to be two decent stores but neither has everything that I'm looking for.

I normally shop at Brewhaven in the south end and they have almost everything I need. A wider variety of extract would be nice but not necessary.

Danny's on Hamilton is fine but they stock fewer hops and have no LME.

It's just so hard to find a one-stop, walk in LHBS to get what we need.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

SteelbackGuy wrote: I've heard that mashing heads was good, but their website says temporarily unavailable? Weird.
If I'm not mistaken the owner is currently moving from Byron to Oakridge so I think that has something to do with the temporary closing. By the looks of it he does in-person pick-ups and deliveries if you live in the London area so he's probably transferring his inventory/equipment and setting himself up in the new house (844 Driftwood Road) right now. But that's just my own personal guess.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

cratez wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: I've heard that mashing heads was good, but their website says temporarily unavailable? Weird.
If I'm not mistaken the owner is currently moving from Byron to Oakridge so I think that has something to do with the temporary closing. By the looks of it he does in-person pick-ups and deliveries if you live in the London area so he's probably transferring his inventory/equipment and setting himself up in the new house (844 Driftwood Road) right now. But that's just my own personal guess.
well i've tried to contact multiple times since my order in MARCH and still haven't heard even a single reply. i'd avoid them until you hear something concrete about them being stable/operational again.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:

How on Earth did you know that ??? Cheers! :D :D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

grub wrote: Well I've tried to contact multiple times since my order in MARCH and still haven't heard even a single reply. I'd avoid them until you hear something concrete about them being stable/operational again.
Yes, you're absolutely right, and there's no excuse for your bad experience with this seller. It's disappointing to hear that, just as others are working to build the reputation of London's beer scene, some are ruining the momentum with their sloppy practices.
SteelbackGuy wrote: How on Earth did you know that??? Cheers! :D
From what I can tell the owner changed his address on Rate Beer. Some patrons at Chancey's know one of his relatives. It's really unfortunate to hear that they've bailed on their obligations, ostensibly because of the move.
Last edited by cratez on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

yeah, i wasn't really trying to drag them through the mud - i'd been a very happy customer through all my previous orders. just sort of frustrating that they went MIA. it's partially my fault too for not acting on it sooner when i could have probably had paypal reverse the charge. hopefully he'll pop back up and we can resolve it.

FWIW, my current favourite ontario HBS place is canadian homebrew supply in brampton. randy is very helpful and has a huge inventory, and local pickups can often be done same day if it's in stock.

duncan

Post by duncan »

I ordered from Mashing Heads a while back. The shipment never arrived. No replies to any emails. Eventually I looked up the owner via whois.sc. Spoke to someone, but informed she no longer ran the website. Contacted the number she gave me. Again no reply. Ended up having to make a dispute with Paypal. The proprietor was totally awol. No response.

Was curious if anyone else had the same experience. But, what I found searching this forum was nothing but good reports.

Unfortunate, as it seemed like a good site.

I get my stuff from Soda Centre in Scarberia. Prices are not great, but really nice staff.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Anyone familiar with this place: http://www.unitedcanadianmalt.ca/index.html

I've emailed to ask if they sell to homebrewers.