Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

First batch is fermenting away!

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

elproducto wrote:Cannondale, any places in Barrie to get supplies? I'm in Parry Sound and this Brampton thing is getting bothersome.
There is a BOP place on Anne St. called Brews Plus where you can typically get 2-row, crystal, black, chocolate and wheat malts, as well as roasted baley. He has pale, amber and dark LME. 8-12 varieties of hop pellets (some of which are a little long in the tooth). And a bunch of carboys and smaller equipment such as thermometers, airlocks, etc.

What sorts of supplies are you interested in? Cleaning/sanitation, brewing ingredients/adjuncts, equipment or what? If you are looking for a place that you can just walk into and buy whatever you might need, I don't know that it exists anywhere in the province.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Save your money and take a road trip to Brampton. Buy everything you can't build and brew on. A lot of us use 15 gallon sanke kegs for kettles, mash tuns and sparge tanks. Look around, they are getting more available all the time.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Swampale wrote:Save your money and take a road trip to Brampton. Buy everything you can't build and brew on. A lot of us use 15 gallon sanke kegs for kettles, mash tuns and sparge tanks. Look around, they are getting more available all the time.
I believe in another thread elproducto mentioned that he is mainly looking for malt extract. If this is the case, his most cost effective option is to walk into a brew on premise place with a large container and buy it by the kilo. Ideally it would be a fairly busy BOP with high turnover so that the LME is more likely to be fresh. The BOP in Barrie that I mentioned earlier in this thread is quite busy.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Yeah, mostly adjuncts. I'm going to buy some hops in bulk from Beer and Wine filter, and I'm reusing yeast. I'd brew a lot more if I had malt extract on hand.

Really though, all I need at this point to go all grain is a mashtun. I'm very close to just getting it over with and building one. Then I can buy bulk grains.