Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Idea - Aerating wort in a blender with fresh hops thrown in.

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Guybrush

Idea - Aerating wort in a blender with fresh hops thrown in.

Post by Guybrush »

So I came up with this idea....

Can I bust up hops and aerate my wort in a blender?

I'll throw a bunch of fresh hops-on-the-cone into a blender (or a food processor [the kind with 2 blades that spin in a circle]), and pour in some wort, then blend for a few seconds to bust up the fresh hops, and at the same time blend air into the wort. Then I'll throw the mixture into the fermenter and let the yeast have at 'er.

I could probably do it 3 or 4 times to blend a good amount of air into a respectable volume of wort.

But I think it's not a bad idea. I can't see any down side.

So I thought I'd ask y'all if you know of any thing bad that would happen from this?

Discuss.....

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

For the sake of efficient use of hops, I wouldn't do it.

You are talking about dry hopping in primary, which is fine in principle, but not until the initial vigorous ferment has completed. Otherwise, the CO2 will scrub off some of the hop aroma that you are presumably looking to add in the first place.

Having said that, if you were to decide to add this elixir once yeast activity has started to calm down, the whole enhanced aeration thing is moot. So you may as well just add the whole hops cones at that point (or wait until secondary).
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Hops in a blender (or coffee grinder in my case) brings out green chlorophyl aromas that deter from the more delicate hop oils. Adds what I call leaf-juice to your wort. Not fun.

Also, hops resin is sticky and will kill your 300$ food processor. Not a good idea. I killed my coffee grinder the one time I did this.

Not a good idea.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Sorry, I do not understand the reasoning behind this. What are you trying to accomplish?

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Excellent question, why am I trying to do this?

Not sure really, thought it would do 'something' interesting.

I guess, what I really am trying to do, is stop my whole cone fresh hops from absorbing all my precious beer when I rack the finished product off of the sediment. I hate how much more liquid they hold onto vs. not using fresh hops at all. So i thought I could bust 'em up in a food processor, and they'd have less 'absorbing' qualities. And it would bust out more hop flavour, but now I'm worried about this 'leaf-juice' iguenard eluded to earlier....

I'm still thinkin' I should try it though... just to teach myself a lesson. ahahha.