Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto Beer Week Homebrew Contest

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm struggling with categories since what I plan to enter should all be under "Specialty" but were intended as variations of traditional styles.

Herbal Wheat
Spicy Oktoberfest
Rye Pale Ale (not Roggenbier)

Ah well, I never did like guidelines.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

So, we're just wrapping up prizing. We want to get final confirmation on everything before we announce the details, but holy shit we've had a phenomenal response from the brewing community, and there can't be many better prize lineups for a homebrew contest! Expect an announcement next week.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Bobsy wrote:So, we're just wrapping up prizing. We want to get final confirmation on everything before we announce the details, but holy shit we've had a phenomenal response from the brewing community, and there can't be many better prize lineups for a homebrew contest! Expect an announcement next week.
I really don't have much of anything decent to enter, but I just might have to send something. I will root through my cellar this weekend!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Had a look and did some tasting last night. Can probably send 3-4 respectable entries.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Announcement on prizing to come in the next few days, but here's a teaser...

The grand prize winner will need a passport.
Multiple breweries will be making category winners.

My realisation:
1) I wish I was a better homebrewer
2) I wish I was not affilaited and could take part.

I really do know of no other contest that has prizing this good, and I've spent some time looking.

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

Bobsy wrote:Announcement on prizing to come in the next few days, but here's a teaser...

The grand prize winner will need a passport.
Multiple breweries will be making category winners.

My realisation:
1) I wish I was a better homebrewer
2) I wish I was not affilaited and could take part.

I really do know of no other contest that has prizing this good, and I've spent some time looking.
hot damn i'd have to agree. i'm not sure where i'm going to put it all but i'll be brewing like a mofo the next few weeks.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Here's the skinny for folks who don't read the homepage...

Toronto Beer Week’s Home Brew Contest is truly extraordinary and unconventional in terms of the relaxed rules that we apply to encourage entries, how we judge the beers and for the prize lineup that we will be offering to winning brewers this year– thanks to the generous support of our sponsors, participating craft breweries and key industry suppliers. Although some details are still being finalized, and the prize categories will ultimately be tailored to respond to the categories of beers that do well in the first round of judging, here’s what we can tell you:

•Spearhead Brewing Company, as Official Sponsor of the TBW Home Brew Contest is offering a “best of show” prize to the brewer who has submitted a beer that is, in the opinion of the judges, truly exceptional.

The prize that Spearhead is offering consists of an opportunity to be special VIP guests of Spearhead Brewing Company at the 2012 Craft Brewers Conference in San Diego, including CBC registration, transportation and hotel accommodation. The winning brewer will also be offered an opportunity to be Spearhead’s guest at their brewing site during a brew day.

• The Amsterdam Brewing Company, brewer of last year’s best of show, Teichert Smoked Porter, is again offering to brew and release one of the winning beer categories with the winning brewer.

• Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company is joining the contest this year and is offering to brew an organic version of one of the winning beer categories with the winning brewer at their brewery in Vankleek Hill, and release the beer.

• The Granite Brewery released the winning Beer from the Southern Ontario Brewers “Plan it at the Granite” Contest during last year’s Toronto Beer Week. This year the Granite will be offering to brew one of the winning ale categories with the winning brewer. The brewer will have the opportunity to join Ron Keefe during the brew session as “Brewer for the Day” .

• Great Lakes Brewery is offering the opportunity to brew one of the winning beer categories with the winning brewer their pilot system. Great Lakes will release the winning beer as part of their illustrious Project “X” series.

• We are also planning to offer additional prizes from participating breweries, such as gift certificates, gift packs, swag, goodies from Bob Latimer at Beer Wine and Filter, gift certificates from Randy at Canadian Homebrew Supplies in Brampton, offerings from Taps Magazine, and other prizes that we will offer at random to brewers of high placing beers! Just one caveat though: Aside from Spearhead’s Best of Show Prize trip to the Craft Brewers Conference, transportation and out-of-pocket expenses incurred in attending a participating brewery for a guest brew day are the responsibility of the winning brewer.

We don’t know of any other Home Brew Contests that can match TBW’s Home Brew Contest awesome prize lineup that will be available to the winning brewers. So brewers, fire up your kettles and give us your best!

The Home Brew Contest rules and entry forms are available by visiting: http://torontobeerweek.com/tbw-homebrew-competition/

The deadline for receipt of entries is Friday September 9th at 9pm!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

:o AWESOME!

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Yeah, AMAZING prizes!!

Sadly, I only have one beer to enter... maybe two.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Sixteen days until the entry deadline, and we have some great sounding homebrews already in. One of you lucky sods is off to San Diego! Looking forward to drinking some of winning entries at a local bar or two.

Tony L

Post by Tony L »

My entries are in TO now awaiting judgement. I could use a trip to San Diego.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

We're submitting a Weiss and a Raspberry Wheat. Our stronger beers, such as the ESB, are mostly gone or resting in growlers. I suppose the growlers would be frowned on.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Hamilton Brian wrote:We're submitting a Weiss and a Raspberry Wheat. Our stronger beers, such as the ESB, are mostly gone or resting in growlers. I suppose the growlers would be frowned on.
Growlers are accepted - I'll send you a PM.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Just an FYI to anyone mailing - don't forget the long weekend will eat a day out of you shipping time.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

8B ESB, 15A Weiss, 17A Berliner Weisse, and 20 Raspberry Wheat submitted today. Thanks for letting us drop them off at your house Rob, especially in light of your new addition.

Good luck to everyone who enters!