Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto Beer Week Homebrew Contest

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

A final reminder that the deadline for entries is 9pm Friday night. If there are any questions, just drop me a PM. Best of luck to those who have entered - we'll aim to get first round results posted middle of next week, and the prizing and final round results will be posted during Toronto Beer Week.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Hi guys,

The deadline has come and gone. Last year we had 95 entries, and I believe that this year we have become the biggest contest in Canada with 244!

For those who did not get my spiel in person. Judging will take place over the next few days, and we will announce category winners by the end of the week. If you've won a category, you've won a prize. Prize order will be allocated by Ontario's finest brewers during TBW itself. All entries will receive feedback, and I'm a slow typer, so expect it from mid September to early October.

Good luck everyone!

Rob
Last edited by Bobsy on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

That sounds amazing Rob. Good luck to all the judges; it seems like an enormous feat!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

21 categories have been judged, with only two remaining to be done in the next couple of days. The standard has been extremely high this year, and even those who don't medal should be proud of themselves. Results will be announced on the TBW website, bartowel and via email in the next few days. Gold medal winners get a prize and advance to round two on September 24th (that's where you'll find out what you won). Silver and bronze winners sadly cannot advance, but should be very pleased with themselves, as every category had great depth and quality. All winning entries are kept refrigerated until the final judging round. Good luck!

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Hi Rob, could you clarify a few things? Will silver and bronze winners receive prizes? What is being determined in the 2nd round? Presumably gold medal winners are tops in one of the 25 categories. Is the 2nd rnd to determine Best in Show? Thanks
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Bonesey wrote:Hi Rob, could you clarify a few things? Will silver and bronze winners receive prizes? What is being determined in the 2nd round? Presumably gold medal winners are tops in one of the 25 categories. Is the 2nd rnd to determine Best in Show? Thanks
Hi.

Silver and bronze winners will not receive prizing, but will have the ride of knowing they placed well in the competition. We would do prizes for them, but considering there is no entry fee there isn't really the money to do an additional 46 prizes.

All gold medal winners have won a prize - the second round determines what that prize is and who is best on show. Essentially, it will rank all the gold medal winners from best to 23rd best.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

have those last two categories been judged yet? excited to see the results!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

grub wrote:have those last two categories been judged yet? excited to see the results!
me too!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Last two categories will be judged on Sunday. We have all but two of our winners already, but I think it's only fair to wait until the roster is complete!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Bobsy wrote:The deadline has come and gone. Last year we had 95 entries, and I believe that this year we have become the biggest contest in Canada with 244!
Congrats on the increase in numbers!

We had 353 entries in Regina this year, and Calgary was just over 270, while Vancouver and Edmonton were right around 300 each.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

markaberrant wrote:
Bobsy wrote:The deadline has come and gone. Last year we had 95 entries, and I believe that this year we have become the biggest contest in Canada with 244!
Congrats on the increase in numbers!

We had 353 entries in Regina this year, and Calgary was just over 270, while Vancouver and Edmonton were right around 300 each.
Jeepers, that's a lot! What do you think drives such large numbers? Bigger homebrew community? Different prizing? More established?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

hey rob, could you post the 25 catagories that were judged?
just the breakdown of what styles got put into what catagories would be great.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Hi guys,

These were the categories judged. We're just waiting for English Pale Ales and Scottish / Irish Ales. No results until then. All categories were based off BJCP groupings - a few were merged if we had too few entries to judge a category, and a few were split where it made sense (e.g. we had 10 black IPAs in the specialty category so we figure it deserved it's own award).

Amber Hybrid
American Amber / Brown
APA
Belgian Specialty
Belgian Strong
Belgian Wits and Pales
Black IPA (split off from 23-specialty)
English Pale Ale
Fruit Beer
German Wheat and Rye
IPA/IIPA
Lager
Light Hybrid
Mead, Braggot, Cider and Perry
Milds, Stouts and Porters
Saison
Scottish and Irish Ales
Smoked / Rauchbier
Sour Ale
Specialty
Spiced / Herbed / Vegetable
Strong Ale
Strong Specialty (split off from 23-specialty)
Wood-Aged Beer

This year's entries were phenomenal, and as a homebrewer I feel humbled. Every winner should be immensely prude - there wasn'y a single soft category in the bunch.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Bobsy wrote:Jeepers, that's a lot! What do you think drives such large numbers? Bigger homebrew community? Different prizing? More established?
Regina and Edmonton both have strong clubs that have been around a long time. Based on my experience as an entrant, these 2 comps have the most qualified and knowledgable judges of anywhere in Canada by a long, long shot (that isn't to say they are all perfect...). Calgary is developing a decent pool of judges, but most other comps are still lacking in this regard. It takes a lot of training and experience to become a decent judge, we all have to learn somehow, it just takes time.

Calgary and Vancouver are relatively new clubs, but have dived in head first; they meet regularly, have a ton of members, and have begun investing in BJCP training and certification.

Regina has always had the most/best prizes (AND we have always shipped them to the out of town winners... some comps still don't do this). However, most other comps have picked up their socks, and TBW now seems to be tops by a wide margin.

Regina is also a first round qualifier for the National Homebrew Competition in the US, which is the largest homebrew comp in the world (7000 total entries last year). It is great and all to win at any old competition, but if you really want to see how you stack up against the big boys, you enter the NHC.

Also, the Reg, Edm, Cgy and Van comps are part of the Canadian Brewer of the Year circuit. You pretty much have to enter all of them if you want a shot at winning. Even the Lethbridge comp got 120 entries this year, mostly because they were a CBoY comp.

So yeah, what makes a good comp? It comes down to judges, prizes, and organization skills (a good tipoff is a decent website with a good online entry system... make it as easy as possible to enter and manage).

Just about everyone across Canada is running better and better comps with more and more entries, and the quality of judging and prize packages are also improving. It is an exciting time to be a competitive homebrewer in Canada!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Bobsy wrote:
Every winner should be immensely prude
Some of us are just immensely modest. :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.