Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Canadian Homebrew supplies

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Canadian Homebrew supplies

Post by JeffPorter »

So, apparently I live a 5 minute drive from this place...

http://homebrew-supplies.ca/viartshop/

Anyone ever dealt with them? For a start-up brew any recommendation of what I should buy in terms of equipment. I thought I'd use festa brew's wort and yeast.

There's an "all-in-one" fermenter with a spigot at the bottom. Would that make bottling easier? Do I still need a carboy?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions...I did just order "How to Brew" by John Palmer from chapters...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Talk to Randy if you can, he'll guide you through what else would be necessary. I like to rack my beer off the yeast into a bottling bucket that has my priming sugar in it, and then let it stand for a half hour or so before bottling.

You could likely add a hose and bottling wand to the spigot, trying to do it directly would likely end up with a fair bit of foaming and spillage.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

BradC

Post by BradC »

Hi Jeff,

I buy all my supplies there and they are excellent. Randy (the owner) will be able to help you out with whatever you need.

You can buy one of those pre-hopped extract kits to start but if you really want to jump in and increase the chances of making a decent beer you might as well begin with steeping grains + extract + hops. It's super easy.

Buy a little crystal malt and crush the grains with a rolling pin. In a nylon bag steep the grains in a few quartz of water for about 1/2 hr. Just as if you were making tea. Top up your pot and bring to a boil and stir in your malt extract (been awhile since I brewed with extract but likely about 6lbs - 2 cans). Add bittering hops at beginning of 60min boil and finishing hops around 15 min left in boil.

There's much more detailed in instructions to be found in my many books and on the internet. I'd stick with a simple Pale Ale recipe to begin with.

I wouldn't worry about needing a carboy yet. A pale with an airlock on the top is fine for a fermentor and the bottling buck will be nice to have come time to bottle. You'll also need a racking cane to transfer the beer. Randy can set you up will all this stuff when you go in.

Lastly, I'd recommend using a good yeast as it's one of the most important factors (if not the most important) in making good beer. I wouldn't trust the yeast that came with a kit. Wyeast or White Labs are both excellent and will greatly improve the quality of your beer.

Good luck,

Brad

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Thanks guys, I had heard that I was close to a good place, but didn't know that I could almost walk there...I'm going to wait until I read a bit of "how to brew"...

Is it really that easy to start out with grain and hops and forego the whole pre-hopped extract?

Thanks again, guys.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Sebastian Mac

Post by Sebastian Mac »

It is definitely easy to skip all the pre-hopped extract. Once you have done some background reading I'd suggest trying to jump in on a homebrew session with someone else. A lot of the theory will make more sense once you see it in practice. Also gives you a chance to see someone's system and how it functions.

You may have heard this before, but I'll warn you. Once you get the homebrewing disease it doesn't go away. It only gets worse, but more fun.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy the brewing and remember a great brewer is always a clean brewer.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

JeffPorter wrote:Thanks guys, I had heard that I was close to a good place, but didn't know that I could almost walk there...I'm going to wait until I read a bit of "how to brew"...

Is it really that easy to start out with grain and hops and forego the whole pre-hopped extract?

Thanks again, guys.
My first batch was done with extract and hops (not pre hopped extract). and yes it is that easy. I highly recommend reading (at least) the first chapter of that book you bought. That's exactly how I got started.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

+1 for Randy's operation. Great store, you are lucky to be nearby, I have to drive from Toronto.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

free bacon

Post by free bacon »

+1 here as well. I was just in there today. Great selection and very helpful. Well worth the 20 min drive from my place.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

went to Randy's store today and got my stuff...I talked about all the stuff we talked.

I told him about all the stuff we talked about - playing with extracts, adding different hops, steeping, etc...

He just looked at me like "God - another brewing hero, thinking he knows what he's doing..." He insisted I started with a prehopped extract: "you're a beginner - keep it simple - learn the steps of brewing. Learn to sanitize your equipment." I thought he was right...so rather than you know, a fancy pumpkin ale my first beer is going to be...a brown ale...

The one thing he suggested I play with is the water to get the gravity down if I wanted to...(see, I just used gravity in the correct way) :D

I may come back for questions...bottom line, Randy was pretty cool and approachable...I think he's going to help me get to more complicated brewing

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

JeffPorter wrote:went to Randy's store today and got my stuff...I talked about all the stuff we talked.

I told him about all the stuff we talked about - playing with extracts, adding different hops, steeping, etc...

He just looked at me like "God - another brewing hero, thinking he knows what he's doing..." He insisted I started with a prehopped extract: "you're a beginner - keep it simple - learn the steps of brewing. Learn to sanitize your equipment." I thought he was right...so rather than you know, a fancy pumpkin ale my first beer is going to be...a brown ale...

The one thing he suggested I play with is the water to get the gravity down if I wanted to...(see, I just used gravity in the correct way) :D

I may come back for questions...bottom line, Randy was pretty cool and approachable...I think he's going to help me get to more complicated brewing
Smart business people recognize the value of an educated customer. Enjoy your brown ale. Even if you screw it up, I bet you'll think it's the best you have ever had!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

another question: The kit that I bought from Randy has a fermenting bucket and a larger carboy (the other kits had smaller ones). He told me to ferment the first batch in the bucket, transfer to the carboy, then clean the bucket and prime and bottle from there. Does this sound right? Will that disturb the beer too much...maybe I heard wrong.

He says I'll start fermenting in the carboy in later batches...And when I come back I can start playing around with steeping and hops and stuff.

Also, the fermenting bucket that came with the kit doesn't have a spigot, so I'll have to siphon from the top when bottling...the books make this sound like a pain and recommend a bottling bucket with spigot...

Also - I haven't been saving my bottles...so I'll need to drink 50 beers this week to get enough bottles...and all the beers I have with pryoff tops are things like Great Divide Hercules and Double Bastard...I gots to drink!!!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Randy has steered you right in terms of the bucket-carboy sequence.

Bottling with a siphon is not that much worse than with a spigot (bottling is a pain with any approach). You will want one of these, though:

http://www.homebrew-supplies.ca/viartsh ... tem_id=240

If you switch to a bucket with a spigot in the future, this device will still be helpful since you would be best off attaching a tube to the spigot. By then, I bet you will have your sights on a keg set-up anyway. :wink:

As for having to collect all those empties, nobody said this would be easy! Just remember to rinse your bottles as soon as you empty them. It will be easier than trying to get yeast residue out of the bottom later, especially if you have any bottle conditioned beer.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

JeffPorter wrote:another question: The kit that I bought from Randy has a fermenting bucket and a larger carboy (the other kits had smaller ones). He told me to ferment the first batch in the bucket, transfer to the carboy, then clean the bucket and prime and bottle from there. Does this sound right? Will that disturb the beer too much...maybe I heard wrong.

He says I'll start fermenting in the carboy in later batches...And when I come back I can start playing around with steeping and hops and stuff.

Also, the fermenting bucket that came with the kit doesn't have a spigot, so I'll have to siphon from the top when bottling...the books make this sound like a pain and recommend a bottling bucket with spigot...
I typically ferment in carboy #1 and rack to carboy #2, then bottle from the bottling bucket so that sounds about right. The main reason to "rack" is to leave the spent yeast, proteins and other gunk that accumulates at the bottom behind.

Carboy vs. bucket is more of a personal preference thing. People often use carboys since they are more resistent to scratches than plastic buckets. A scratched up bucket is theoretically more prone to infections.

HIGHLY recommend getting a bucket with a spigot as it saves having to worrty about siphoning as much. You may be able to add a spigot to yours, google around. I have a small length of tube that I use on the spigot so that you are filling the bottle from the bottom, and it foams up a bit less. It takes some practice to get your bottle levels exact though.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

JerCraigs wrote:It takes some practice to get your bottle levels exact though.
Not with a bottling wand! Just fill to the top and the space taken up by said wand will leave a consistent head space. I've never had foaming issues but I also tend to leave my beers in the primary/secondary for a couple weeks after fermentation is complete, which likely leaves me with less CO2 left in suspension.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

The wort is cooling - Kind id tough to cool as I have a small sink. Right now I have cold water running against the side of the wort. This I'm used to because cool stocks really fast is essential to prevent spoilage..it is VERY dark - almost porter dark. I put a little less water than recommended so we'll see. I'm a little freaked out by sanitization...did I do it right, enough, too much. Was the solution too strong, too week...I just want to cool it, get it in the bucket, pitch the yeast and drink this southern tier back burner...

I'm kind of worried and excited at the same time... I know all you vetrans may think it dumb, but I'm having the time of my life...only hope I don't do something the spoil the batch...