Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

how do I sanitize?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

how do I sanitize?

Post by JeffPorter »

The kit that I got from Randy has a small packet of sodium metabicarbonite, or something...how do I use it?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I did a search on sodium metabicarbonite, and it is said to a water softener. Probably to help the malt come through in your brown ale.

Personaly I used bleach for awhile without a problems. Something like a cap full per 5 gallons if I recall correctly. Lots will say not to use it, but i havent had any problems yet. Just be sure to rinse out the container after using it. LAtely though I have switched to one step sanitizer, so I dont have to rinse the containers. Saves some time and water. This link should help you out.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index. ... Sanitizing

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

After looking over that link i noticed Sodium Metabisulfite. is that what you meant? if so there are directions for use on that link.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

bleach may work, but it's SO much easier to use a no-rinse sanitizer...

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

He must have meant sodium metabisulfite. The trouble with that is that sanitation requires a long contact time. Honestly, save yourself the trouble and get some starsan or iodophor or no rinse sanitizer of some sort.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Yes, sorry, I meant the metabisulphite...It's all I have right now...(and Randy's closed)...

So IF I was to go ahead and use the metabisulphite just for this ferment and get the no rinse next week for bottling, what might I need to do? Right now, I'm just anxious to start and get in going and fermenting...

Thanks for all the help guys...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

grub wrote:bleach may work, but it's SO much easier to use a no-rinse sanitizer...
Star San is supposed to be no rinse right? I got a TON of foam/bubbles when I used it in my carboy... Did I add too much?

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

JerCraigs wrote:
grub wrote:bleach may work, but it's SO much easier to use a no-rinse sanitizer...
Star San is supposed to be no rinse right? I got a TON of foam/bubbles when I used it in my carboy... Did I add too much?
No, the foam means it`s working, and increases contact time by sticking to the insides of your carboy. I stopped using bleach and swiched to starsan. Buy some distilled water from the supermarket and add the proper amount of starsan. Put it in a spray bottle or put some in a bucket for immersion and reuse the starsan when you are done. Only caveat is that it is a sanitizer and not a cleaner.

It`s also somewhat of a yeast nutrient, and is drinkable. Serve it at your next tasting and astound your guests (well no, don`t do that)
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I use sodium metabisulfite, only because I was given a box of it, and I'm too cheap to throw it out. But its almost used up and I will switch to Starsan then, as I already use PBW for cleaning.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

JeffPorter wrote:Yes, sorry, I meant the metabisulphite...It's all I have right now...(and Randy's closed)...

So IF I was to go ahead and use the metabisulphite just for this ferment and get the no rinse next week for bottling, what might I need to do? Right now, I'm just anxious to start and get in going and fermenting...

http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-sodi ... lfite.html

Have a read through this document.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

cannondale wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:Yes, sorry, I meant the metabisulphite...It's all I have right now...(and Randy's closed)...

http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-sodi ... lfite.html

Have a read through this document.
I use this stuff at work. Pretty powerful when mixed with citric acid. Watch your nose as the fumes are intense! I hate the stuff due to the smell, and I've managed to get my employers to switch partly to StarSan, which will likely be the most recommended santitizer. I haven't used Iodophor but I would probably recommend it, as StarSan can be a little "fragile". The only real downside to Iodophor seems to be the staining on plastic.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I use this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peracetic_acid

Brewers I know use caustic acid (http://www.ask.com/questions-about/Caustic-Acid), but thats a bit hardcore for me. Have some, but I'm afraid to use it.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

phirleh wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:
No, the foam means it`s working, and increases contact time by sticking to the insides of your carboy. I stopped using bleach and swiched to starsan. Buy some distilled water from the supermarket and add the proper amount of starsan. Put it in a spray bottle or put some in a bucket for immersion and reuse the starsan when you are done. Only caveat is that it is a sanitizer and not a cleaner.
Can you describe how you use it? I filled the 5 gallon carboy with Star San mix and sloshed it around for a while. There was more foam leftover than I was comfortable leaving without someone telling me it was okay.

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

phirleh wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:

It`s also somewhat of a yeast nutrient, and is drinkable. Serve it at your next tasting and astound your guests (well no, don`t do that)
why distilled water? I've never heard of having to use starsan with distilled, i've always used it with tap water with great success.

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

JerCraigs wrote:
phirleh wrote:
JerCraigs wrote: Star San is supposed to be no rinse right? I got a TON of foam/bubbles when I used it in my carboy... Did I add too much?
Can you describe how you use it? I filled the 5 gallon carboy with Star San mix and sloshed it around for a while. There was more foam leftover than I was comfortable leaving without someone telling me it was okay.
when filling a bucket or carboy i actually put the starsan liquid in first and then add water on top to get the most foam action possible. even contact with the foam will sanitize the vessel as long as it's free of debris. often times when filling a carboy or keg i'll have foaming pouring out of the top of the vessel as the height of the liquid gets near the top.

don't fear the foam!