Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

mad tom bottles

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

mad tom bottles

Post by JeffPorter »

this may be a no brainer, but I just realized that the mad tom bottles are great for anyone saving up to bottle a home brew - the clear plastic labels peel off perfectly leaving almost nothing behind.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Jeff, if you're short on bottles, I have an embarassing number of 750 mL belgian style bottles (think Unibroue, Chimay, Floreffe, etc.). They are de-labelled, probably just need a quick wash and can be sanitized in your dishwasher with the hot dry cycle engaged. I can give you enough to bottle a batch. I have the belgian corks and hoods too.

I keg my beer. I just keep enough bottles for competitions, the rest are gathering dust.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cannondale wrote:Jeff, if you're short on bottles, I have an embarassing number of 750 mL belgian style bottles (think Unibroue, Chimay, Floreffe, etc.). They are de-labelled, probably just need a quick wash and can be sanitized in your dishwasher with the hot dry cycle engaged. I can give you enough to bottle a batch. I have the belgian corks and hoods too.

I keg my beer. I just keep enough bottles for competitions, the rest are gathering dust.
I was thinking about my unibroue bottles because I was wondering how to cork them...is it hard? That sounds very intriguing...I'm going to PM you...

Also, it sounds like a lot of you just keg your beers...is that where I'm heading?...I'm sure it is, but I only ask, because my wife will want to know where I'm going to keep the keg in our relatively small 1960s style back split..
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

For unibroue bottles you either need to be able to cork & cage, which uses a champagne style cork, or a capper that can handle the 22mm Belgian caps
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

icemachine wrote:For unibroue bottles you either need to be able to cork & cage, which uses a champagne style cork, or a capper that can handle the 22mm Belgian caps
I think Unibroue is cork-only. At least I'd be impressed if you managed to wrangle a cap around that bulbous top.

Flying Monkeys are my go-to bottle. The labels comes right off with just a hot water soak. I'd like to use Grand River bottles, as they're built like a tank, but those labels are the devil. I've done overnight oxyclean soaks on them and half the time I still need to scrub hard to get them off.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Cale wrote:
icemachine wrote:For unibroue bottles you either need to be able to cork & cage, which uses a champagne style cork, or a capper that can handle the 22mm Belgian caps
I think Unibroue is cork-only. At least I'd be impressed if you managed to wrangle a cap around that bulbous top.

Flying Monkeys are my go-to bottle. The labels comes right off with just a hot water soak. I'd like to use Grand River bottles, as they're built like a tank, but those labels are the devil. I've done overnight oxyclean soaks on them and half the time I still need to scrub hard to get them off.
All this bottle and label talk brings back bad memories...

Yes, the 750's are cork & hood only. The 29 mm euro caps fit on bottles like La Chouffe and other champagne type bottles.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

cannondale wrote:
Cale wrote:

All this bottle and label talk brings back bad memories...

Yes, the 750's are cork & hood only. The 29 mm euro caps fit on bottles like La Chouffe and other champagne type bottles.
My mistake, I don't do the euro caps, and assumed they would fit. The Mad Tom's easy peel labels are great, but the glue on the Muskoka seasonals are a bitch. Still its worth it for a 750ml swingtop.

I found with the sticky labels that after a hot soak, for 20 minutes or so, that scrapping with the backside of a knife works pretty well. The Charlevoix bottles that are the same shape require less effort.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole