Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Was your first batch...

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Was your first batch...

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

an original concoction you came up with or a recipe you found and followed? I just bought a book on homebrewing which seems pretty thorough and informative so far ("How to Brew" by John Palmer) and I am eager to get started, but conflicted on how to begin. I have almost no interest in extract brewing (might as well go big) and I am curious if it's possible for a first timer to come up with a good recipe, based solely on knowledge of ingredients.

Would it be advisable to attempt your own recipe the first time out or take a safer route?

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Well, its hard to miss a single-hop, single-malt IPA using 60min single-step mash at 67'C.

100% Marris Otter (scale to lets say 1.062 OG) with 50 IBUs of a high-alpha acid american hop (Citra, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook) with 45 IBU worth of hop at 60min, 2-5 IBU at 10 minutes.

Ferment to 1.008 with WYeast's Pacman (Rogue) or American Ale II, and dry-hop with the same amount used at 10 minutes in secondary.

That'll give you something easy to do, with low costs, and produce something very acceptable.

My first batch was something similar (a little more complex grain bill including some malted wheat, crystal and carafoam malts) scaled to 54L.

Nothing wrong in using DME though. You can pitch some Wheat DME at the begining of the boil to give it some punch and wheat flavours. Dont view DME as a rookie ingredient, but think of it as a way to add some fermentable sugars with some flavour, while not being limited to your mash capacity.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Thanks for the suggestion. That recipe sounds like it would make something pretty solid.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

My very first batch was 1 can of malt extract a pound of sugar and a little packet of dry yeast that came with the canned extract. I honestly thought I had mastered the simple science of brewing.

Then I started googling the term "homebrew" and POW! Right in the Kisser. I realized I knew nothing. Been a long time since then...

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

my first recipe was my own recipe and i had no clue what i was doing. the problem with brewing an unproven recipe when you're starting out is that if the beer does not turn out the way you envisioned you'll have a hard time deciphering if it was a brewing process issue or a recipe issue.

i'd suggest brewing classic styles by Jamil Z and John Palmer, all recipes are proven award winners.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

First batch for me was extract with specialty grain. Ommegang Hennepin clone recipe. An ambitious first effort.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

my first batch was the extract tounge splitter ipa from northern brewer

turned out good

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Your first couple of brews there's going to be so much going on process & equipment wise - that throwing in all grain might be a bit much unless you do a lot of home work or have someone experienced with you. Even then, it's going to be a lot to manage as you'll have more equipment variables which will all be unknowns.

I would recommend doing the Cincinnatti Pale Ale in the Palmer book and gain some experience with the process & equipment before you start getting too adventurous. All the steps are there and you'll want reassurance that what your doing is correct.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Thanks for the responses guys. I will go with the consensus and use a recipe.

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

I second what Ralphus said about the cincinnati pale ale, that was my first recipe. Although I went right ahead and steeped some crystal 60 in there as well. I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

I didn't bother with the 2nd recipe he lists the Palm O'Porter, I just moved on to an extract recipe I wanted to try, any of the recipes in the back of the how to brew book use the same process pick something you'd like to drink and brew it up.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I personally think every brewer should start out with a FestaBrew or Brewhouse kit, but that is just me.

Whenever you do decide to make your first extract/all-grain batch, definitely go with a tried and true recipe, it takes a long time to get the hang of recipe formulation.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

codfishh wrote:I second what Ralphus said about the cincinnati pale ale, that was my first recipe. Although I went right ahead and steeped some crystal 60 in there as well. I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

I didn't bother with the 2nd recipe he lists the Palm O'Porter, I just moved on to an extract recipe I wanted to try, any of the recipes in the back of the how to brew book use the same process pick something you'd like to drink and brew it up.
What hops did you use for the Cincy Pale Ale? I was thinking of going with Columbus, Chinook, Amarillo and Cascade.

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

Pretty sure I used Galena at 60 minutes and I think I did cascade additions at 30 and 15 minutes. 1/2 oz each. I dry hopped with 1 oz of cascade as well.

The hops you listed would be pretty tasty too.