Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa: Free fresh Hops off-the-vine (pickup only)

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Ottawa: Free fresh Hops off-the-vine (pickup only)

Post by iguenard »

Attention homebrewers. Grew some hops again this year, and sadly due to time constraints, will not be able to harvest/brew my annual fresh-hop harvest ale.

If your in the Ottawa region, your more than welcome to come pick up the following:

- Roughly 2 lbs of cascade
- Roughly 200g of organic Halletauer
- Roughly 300g of Chinook
- Roughly 500g of Fuggles

Its on the fascade of my house looking mighty ripe. All I ask in return is some of your homebrew including if possible the one you'll do with the abovementioned hops :)

PM if interested. Pickup would need to be this week to avoid spoilage.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

The hops has been claimed. Thanks all..

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I'm guessing that you won't be needing my hops this year then ;-)

So for those who were interested in Ian's crop, I will offer up my hops this year as well. I have:

- 200-300g of dry Cascade from a friend's harvest this week
- 1.2+ kg of Cascade
- 300-400g of Willamette
- 100-200g each of Golding, Nugget, Centennial, Chinook, and Zeus (like Columbus)

Except for the dry cascade, everything is still wet on the bines and is ready to be cut down this weekend. The Golding and Nugget are intermixed with the Cascade and Willamette so you may not be able to separate them.

For comparison, this is a little less than what I got last year. That harvest filled two 18 litre work buckets from Home Depot.

Send me a message and we can arrange a pickup time and I can give helpful hints.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Actually, if your hops is dry, I'll take it.

Reason I gave mine away is mostly I didnt have time to harvest and dry. Could still do an IPA with dry hops.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Hi Ian,

I now have the harvest from gardens of two friends, probably about 400g now. I'll set those aside for you. I'll see if I can get some of the others off and dried as well.

The wet Cascade is likely too large for me to get to, as possibly is the Willamette. They are still looking for a good home.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

My hops have all found good homes now. I'm looking forward to having them drop by for a visit in a few weeks :)

General Ivolgin

Post by General Ivolgin »

I too have a wall full of hops if anyone is interested. I'm in west central Ottawa and would be happy to give them away to anyone who would use them. One problem: I don't know what kind of hops they are. Just let me know if you'd like to have a look or just take them away.

General Ivolgin