Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

heat spikes during the mash

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cmadd

heat spikes during the mash

Post by cmadd »

newbie question: I'm starting my first brooklyn brew shop kit (IPA), and during the mash I would try to heat it up to 152, then turn the heat off. I would turn it back on at 144F. I noticed, however, that sometimes some regions of the pot would spike to above 170F. I would quickly mix it to try and cool it down. This seems like it would be a big problem as it would deactivate the enzymes breaking down the carbs. Should I be worried? Is the batch ruined?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

It will still make beer. Relax.

That being said, trying to use a stock pot and a stove for mashing does not sound like the greatest idea (I have tried it myself a long time ago). A converted cooler works much better.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

markaberrant wrote:It will still make beer. Relax.

That being said, trying to use a stock pot and a stove for mashing does not sound like the greatest idea (I have tried it myself a long time ago). A converted cooler works much better.
I agree with this also. One of my first attempts at all-grain involved me mashing in the pot on the burner. Heat would drop, we'd turn on the tank and fire it up a bit. It was painfully long, much longer than the typical hour in an insulated cooler. The beer was still good, but it could have been a lot better. We converted a bucket into our semi-permanent mash tun by wrapping the body and lid in heavy-duty insulation. Works like a charm.