Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

So I bottled today

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

So I bottled today

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

It was a pain in the ass getting the siphon started, but the brew is now in bottles. I decided to also pour myself a glass just to see how it tasted at this point. "Interesting" is the best descriptor I can come up with. It's certainly not good, and the colour is just nasty. Let's see what a couple in weeks bottle conditioning will do.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Don't worry, have a homebrew. Or, drink what's on hand.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Hamilton Brian wrote:Don't worry, have a homebrew. Or, drink what's on hand.
Haha, no home brew to drink yet, so I opened a Tree Hophead. I suppose the best part is I couldn't detect any sour flavours, so I think I was successful ( at least thus far) in fending off infection.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

it's good that you're tasting it along the way, but important to remember that it's not "finished" yet. you'd be amazed what temperature and carbonation can do to bring a beer to life - not to mention an extra few weeks of conditioning time and the beer having time to drop (more) clear. so take the data points and remember what stays with it and what changes. and even if you think it's awful, don't give up. you learn something at every step, and each time it gets easier. plus, you'd be amazed what a mediocre-to-poor brew now can turn into with some time in the cellar. i've heard so many stories about potential drain-pours turning into gold with time.

as much as it can seem repetitive and unhelpful, "relax, don't worry, have a (home)brew" often is the best course of action. and by all means, keep firing away with the question.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am going to give it two weeks before I let anyone else try it.

Here's a question though, what's the best way to get a siphon and racking cane started? I have one of those J-shaped canes, or would an auto-siphon be worth investing in?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i have mixed feelings about autosiphons. they work great when new, but every one i've ever used slowly stops working - losing its seal, cracking, etc. more hassle than its worth.

starting a regular siphon is easy. fill with water/sanitizer from the end of the hose to just before the top of the "J" (ie: up to but not over the hump). clamp it off. the pull as this runs out (into a separate growler/bucket) should be enough to pull the beer along. clamp it when it's running beer and you're ready to go. might want to practice a couple of times with a bucket and some water, but it's easy enough.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

grub wrote:i have mixed feelings about autosiphons. they work great when new, but every one i've ever used slowly stops working - losing its seal, cracking, etc. more hassle than its worth.
While I've heard about these issues, I don't believe they're that common. I use them to rack 60-120 times a week and the only time they fail on me is when I get careless with working fast and snap the top when I push down with too much force.

One thing to be cautious about is getting a clog around the sediment cap. If that gets too clogged the siphon with struggle and start pulling in air. Fruit skins are awful for this.

However I wouldn't bother switching to one if you already have a racking cane, unless you really hate doing it that way. It's a small convenience - but for me, anything I can do to quicken the brew day is great.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

After bottling my first, I'd give a +1 for the autosiphon...

Ale's - it'll be better after a couple of a weeks, and even better after that. I was so worried about my first batch a few weeks ago... they've been in the bottle for 3 weeks, and it's very drinkable now...not perfect, but I'm at the point now, where I'd let someone else drink it...and also...it's just a plain brown ale...some wise people told me to keep it simple for the first batch.
And then keep it simple for the second and third, even as well.

Also - I gotta say, I kinda like the colour.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I don't like autosiphons.

And there is nothing "plain" about brown ale. Every homebrewer starts out wanting to create new styles of beer, but frankly, most of them are terrible. I have been brewing for 6 years, the beers I brew these days are all pretty simple, yet taste far better than any of my early experiments.

I recently made a batch of Irish Red Ale, a style I have never made before because I think they are boring for the most part, but it is amazing how good a fresh, well made example can taste. It is delicious.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

I always bottle at least one clear bottle to monitor the appearance of the beer. My first one looked absolutely disgusting the day of bottling, almost like a milky carrot juice. Wait a few days for every thing to settle, then take a look.

As for the auto siphon, I used one for the first time last week. I didn't really like it. It was faster and easier to prime but it seemed too 'violent', I got way too many bubbles in the tubing.

This video really helped me to learn how to prime a siphon.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

RayOhm wrote:I always bottle at least one clear bottle to monitor the appearance of the beer.
Huh, that is a surprisingly simple yet effective technique!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

RayOhm wrote:I always bottle at least one clear bottle to monitor the appearance of the beer. My first one looked absolutely disgusting the day of bottling, almost like a milky carrot juice. Wait a few days for every thing to settle, then take a look.
I prefer not bottling/kegging until it drops clear. It is a good indication that the beer is actually done, plus you end up with far less sediment in the bottles.

Hopaholic

Post by Hopaholic »

I have always had problems with loosing suction and airbubles when racking with a regular racking cane so i got an autosyphon i tried it yesterday and i love it. I would think that overtime you would just need to replace the o ring.

ctalbot

Post by ctalbot »

I've bottled beers that looked fairly murky on bottling day, but after two or three weeks of conditioning, they typically improved a lot in appearance.

As for auto-siphons, I'm a fan. I apparently can't make simple physics work, so I struggle with racking canes. I only brew a handful of times a year, but I've been using the same auto-siphon for four years now. The only time I haven't problems is when something clogs up the end of the contraption (fruit can be bad for that).

Chris

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Seems to be split opinions on autosiphon vs old school. I'll stick with what I have for now and invest in other more pressing equipment needs first, like a thermometer and a glass carboy.