Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Is there a trick to getting a good hop presence...

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Is there a trick to getting a good hop presence...

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Other than just throwing in a boat load of hops? I'm drinking a bottle of my home brew today, and it has zero hop flavour or aroma. It has a lot of bitterness, but none of that nice citrusy stuff I was expecting. I used about 2.5 times as many hops as the recipe called for, so I was figuring it would be a big time hop bomb.

Does it have something to do with with the fact that I pre-boiled 2 gallons of water and only boiled the hops and extract in 3 gallons of water then mixed the two in the fermenter?

zachariaIPA

Post by zachariaIPA »

I dry-hop my IPAs with 2-3 oz of hops (per 5 gallon batch) and they are dank!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

hop flavour comes from latehop additions (last 5 minutes of boil)

hop aroma comes from dry hopping

when did you add your hops?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

just saw your post in what are you drinking, you only had bittering additions, thats why you got only bitterness

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Using good quality hops also make a huge difference. They need to be stored properly or they are pretty much useless.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

matt7215 wrote:just saw your post in what are you drinking, you only had bittering additions, thats why you got only bitterness
The book I have says for a 60 minute boil the flavouring additions begin at 30 minutes and the finishing additions begin at 15 minutes or less? I just added the hops when the recipe said to do so, albeit in much greater quantities.
markaberrant wrote:Using good quality hops also make a huge difference. They need to be stored properly or they are pretty much useless.
I used pellet-style hops that had been in refrigerated storage and sealed in a vac-pack.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
matt7215 wrote:just saw your post in what are you drinking, you only had bittering additions, thats why you got only bitterness
The book I have says for a 60 minute boil the flavouring additions begin at 30 minutes and the finishing additions begin at 15 minutes or less?
unfortunantly that just isnt the case, you may get some hop flavour from a 15 min addition but you will get no hop aroma.

to get hop aroma without dry hopping you should add hops after the boil as you cool your wort.

your 30min addition was a bittering addition.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Additions at flameout and dry hopping make a big difference, I noticed you didn't add anything after 15.

Hopaholic

Post by Hopaholic »

I believe not doing a full boil may be a contributing factor as well. I just tried dryhopping in a keg and that works great for aroma.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Hopaholic wrote:I believe not doing a full boil may be a contributing factor as well. I just tried dryhopping in a keg and that works great for aroma.
not doing a full boil will reduce ibu's, doesnt seem to be the problem here

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote: I used pellet-style hops that had been in refrigerated storage and sealed in a vac-pack.
Freezer would be better, but not bad.

duncan

Post by duncan »

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/a ... teHops.pdf

This PDF by Zainasheff is pretty handy on tips for maximizing hop flavour/aroma.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

duncan wrote:http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/a ... teHops.pdf

This PDF by Zainasheff is pretty handy on tips for maximizing hop flavour/aroma.
Nice, thanks a lot.

So I'll try a ton of late hop additions next time and see what happens. Here's a question, what does boiling the wort for 60 minutes without adding any hops do? Does it change the malts in some way?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Here's a question, what does boiling the wort for 60 minutes without adding any hops do?
Drives off DMS
Sterilizes the wort
Decreases volume/increases gravity
Darkens colour of wort
Generates the hotbreak
Drops PH

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

markaberrant wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Here's a question, what does boiling the wort for 60 minutes without adding any hops do?
Drives off DMS
Sterilizes the wort
Decreases volume/increases gravity
Darkens colour of wort
Generates the hotbreak
Drops PH
Thanks for the info.