Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Marzen Help

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Marzen Help

Post by cannondale »

Now that I have a temp. controlled ferm. chamber, I'm going to take my first stab at a lager and brew an Oktoberfest/Marzen. I've put together a 10 gallon recipe that I plan to split and ferment with 2 different lager strains. Any feedback from the lager brewers out there would be appreciated..

Marzen, 10 gallons, split:

Fermentables (Target - OG 1.053, SRM 10):
50% Vienna
30% Pilsner
10% Munich 9°L
5% Caramunich II
5% CaraBohemian

Mash (Batch Sparge):
Beta Rest - 30 min. @ 140°F
Alpha Rest - 30 min. @ 158°F

Boil for 90 min.

Hops (Target - 25 IBU):
2 oz. Tettnanger (3.2% AA) @ 40 min.
2 oz. Hallertau (4.3% AA) @ 30 min.

Fermentation:
Split, ferment one half with WLP820, the other half with WLP830.
Ferment @ 45°F for 2 weeks.
Lager @ 35°F for 6 weeks.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Ixion

Post by Ixion »

I might be late to reply, but I would do a single infusion at 153F fro 60 minutes. This would coax out a stronger malt profile which I think is good for the style. 148F would make a drier, less malty profile that is better for, say, Koelsch.