Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

WLP500

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

WLP500

Post by cannondale »

Any thoughts on optimal fermentation schedule for a Belgian Strong with WLP500? I'm seeing lot's of inconsistency between prevailing opinion, BLAM, etc. I'm interested in some ester production, but certainly want to avoid higher alcohols, and don't want to have to condition for an extended period to clean things up. Tentatively, I'm thinking of pitching at 64°F, letting it rise on it's own, but capping it at 68° until primary is done, then conditioning for 2 weeks at 32°F.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I don't personally care for this yeast (or Chimay beer in general), but I would pitch at 64F, and then let it free rise up into the low 70s.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

markaberrant wrote:I don't personally care for this yeast (or Chimay beer in general), but I would pitch at 64F, and then let it free rise up into the low 70s.
I've seen several homebrew 'experts' suggest pitching at 60 and then hold at 65 throughout.
BYO Replicator says pitch at 65 and then allow to rise to 77 during fermentation.
BLAM says ferment at 77.

I think maybe I'll try pitching at 64. Allow it to free rise to 72 (upper end of 'optimum' range according to White Labs) and cap it there. Once primary is complete, I'll ramp it down to 32 and let it sit there for a couple weeks to clear it out.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

duncan

Post by duncan »

In people's opinion how does 500 compare to 550? I got a lot of iso-amyl acetate when I used it. Which wasn't what I was looking for. As far as I recall I pitched at 15c and let it free rise to 23~c.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It's been years since I've used it, but I think it's fairly neutral (plain, without much character). It'll really attenuate though... especially if you pitch a big yeast cake.

I probably pitched around 65F and left it at that ambient temperature (so it probably got over 70, especially with the higher yeast counts). I think I used 6 generations (even kept it refrigerated over the summer) before I moved to Toronto.