Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Kettlevalve installation

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Mr.X

Kettlevalve installation

Post by Mr.X »

I just picked up a kettlevalve and kettlescreen along with a brewmometer to kit out my 34L kettle and was wondering if anyone has installed these before. I see the instructions for the valve recommend either a 7/8 inch hole saw or a step bit. I've looked up step bits and they appear to be the best tool for the job - however they seem to be quite expensive everywhere I’ve looked. Does anyone have any experience installing this valve or know where one could source a step bit in the GTA on the cheap?

thanks

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'd suggest you ask your question over at http://areyouansob.com/, its a dedicated homebrewing forum for Southern Ontario. Another option is to go into a local tool shop and ask if they can punch that hole for you. Most of those sort of places will be able to do it, and are fairly reasonable if you toss in a sixer of homebrew
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Mr.X wrote:I just picked up a kettlevalve and kettlescreen along with a brewmometer to kit out my 34L kettle and was wondering if anyone has installed these before. I see the instructions for the valve recommend either a 7/8 inch hole saw or a step bit. I've looked up step bits and they appear to be the best tool for the job - however they seem to be quite expensive everywhere I’ve looked. Does anyone have any experience installing this valve or know where one could source a step bit in the GTA on the cheap?

thanks
I bought a step bit on ebay. Under $10.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trkparms ... p=15&_sc=1

Use some sort of cutting oil to keep it cool. Take your time drilling it.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I purchased a hole saw from the depot and just used a power drill. Easy.

Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

sweet - thanks for the tips guys.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Just be a tad careful, it will want to wander around a bit. I have the scratches on my 60 quart pot to prove it! :D