Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Look at my bottle score!

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Look at my bottle score!

Post by atomeyes »

One of my patients just gave me 100 of his old beer bottles that he used for home brewing.

these are the sweetest stubbies i've ever seen!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Nice...but are they clean?
I was in a Value Village last year and say a 12 of the original 70's stubbies in the little carboard suitcase, should have picked it up, but I think the thrill would have died down cleaning out 30 year old gunk in the bottles.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

phirleh wrote:Nice...but are they clean?
I was in a Value Village last year and say a 12 of the original 70's stubbies in the little carboard suitcase, should have picked it up, but I think the thrill would have died down cleaning out 30 year old gunk in the bottles.
some still had his homebrew in them.
i looked at a few. no yeasties or gunk - just some dust.
i want to sanitize them in the dishwasher, but they may lose the label, so i may be stuck with a slow-process individual internal soak and scrub.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

easiest way to remove labels is just to soak them in hot water - no chemicals, no nothing. leave 'em overnight. i've got a hard plastic scraper and a scotchbrite pad for any stubborn ones. european labels in particular fall right off within minutes. it'll also soften up any gunk that may be inside. my usual routine is to soak then rinse inside and out with a bottle washer. i've got a spare rubbermaid bin that holds approx 2 cases of bottles.

i've done chemicals and other stuff, but found no noticeable improvement in their ability to remove labels and far more work in rinsing the chemicals back out/off after.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

There are tons of those Heidelberg bottles floating around here in SK. A few guys in a our homebrew club have huge stashes of them, and I see them at most of the antique stores. Some are still full!

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

cool looking bottle. sort of reminds me of a mickeys bottle with a longer neck. My aunt recently gifted me some of my uncles old homebrew bottles. Got 2 cases of the og stubby with the super short neck. Problem is i use a wing capper and need to invest in a new one to use these bottles.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

used 3 of the bottles to rack a brew.
panicked when i was crimping the cap on.
the neck is thinner than current bottles, so initially, the caps wouldn't stay on.
you have to really crimp that sucker down all the way to secure the cap.

and washing was fun - one bottle had a nice colony in the bottom. the rest were fine. just dusty

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

atomeyes wrote:used 3 of the bottles to rack a brew.
panicked when i was crimping the cap on.
the neck is thinner than current bottles, so initially, the caps wouldn't stay on.
you have to really crimp that sucker down all the way to secure the cap.

and washing was fun - one bottle had a nice colony in the bottom. the rest were fine. just dusty
Had I known I was going to start homebrewing, I would have kept all those scotch-irish bottles...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

JeffPorter wrote:
Had I known I was going to start homebrewing, I would have kept all those scotch-irish bottles...
Before I started brewing, I kept 7 cases of the old Grand River bottles plus a few Scotch Irish stubbies...I love those bottles.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

phirleh wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:
Before I started brewing, I kept 7 cases of the old Grand River bottles plus a few Scotch Irish stubbies...I love those bottles.
LOL... I'm down to about 6 cases of GR bottles. I seem to give too many of those away. I still have tons of stubbies & German .5L bottles. Those are my go-to (actually a couple cases of St. Peter's when I'm doing British brews a well).

Once the labels are off, bottling isn't bad. After cleaning (and sometimes sanitizing with chemical), I run them through the dish washer (no soap) using the sterilization cycle... then fill them directly from there.

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but bottling completes the 'job' and still gives me a strange sense of satisfaction.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Derek wrote:
phirleh wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:
LOL... I'm down to about 6 cases of GR bottles. I seem to give too many of those away. I still have tons of stubbies & German .5L bottles. Those are my go-to (actually a couple cases of St. Peter's when I'm doing British brews a well).

Once the labels are off, bottling isn't bad. After cleaning (and sometimes sanitizing with chemical), I run them through the dish washer (no soap) using the sterilization cycle... then fill them directly from there.

I kind of aggree...I feel pretty good about bottling...it feels like a real "hands on" thing to do, and my "non-beery" friends and relatives are kind of blown away that I can put cap on a bottle.

Now, if I can get my beer to taste good...*

*(I'm going to scale it back next with a festa brew deal...I really need to get the basics down...)

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but bottling completes the 'job' and still gives me a strange sense of satisfaction.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »