Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cutting the top off of kegs

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mistermurphy

Cutting the top off of kegs

Post by mistermurphy »

Has anyone had their kegs plasma cut? If so, where?

Or does everyone just resort to the old grinding/cutting wheel?

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

I have plasma cut the tops off of about 10 kegs so far, frankly I find the cut better with a grinder and jig. If you do a search on HomeBrewTalk for it, there are a few jigs that are quite easy to make.

Plasma cutters, even when used by an experienced person, leave a somewhat ragged edge, as it is blowing through the material.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

yeah, i have used dremels and grinders and find the grinder to be far better (and the wheels are much cheaper). it's nice if you've got someone who can do the plasma cut for you (thanks scott!) but certainly not mandatory.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

grub wrote:yeah, i have used dremels and grinders and find the grinder to be far better (and the wheels are much cheaper). it's nice if you've got someone who can do the plasma cut for you (thanks scott!) but certainly not mandatory.
My pleasure.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

A jig is easy to make, I got a grinder for $25 on kijiji and cut the top off in a few minutes
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i've never even used a jig, just draw a circle using a loop of string around the center post, then follow the line. easy enough. just make sure you depressurize the keg before you start, and use a stainless steel cutting wheel!

kijiji is a good option. i got mine on sale at cdn tire (regular $90 on for $40 or something). once i threw in my stash of cdn tire money i got it for $18. good deal.

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

Hey, since I've got you guys here..... where did you get your false bottom for your keggle?

I see a few different options on MoreBeer, Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer, just not sure which one to get....

jcc

Post by jcc »

mistermurphy wrote:Hey, since I've got you guys here..... where did you get your false bottom for your keggle?
I have heard of a few people getting them from Innovation Homebrewing (http://ihomebrewing.ca/stainless-steel- ... ottom.html) if you want to buy from a Canadian source.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

jcc wrote:
mistermurphy wrote:Hey, since I've got you guys here..... where did you get your false bottom for your keggle?
I have heard of a few people getting them from Innovation Homebrewing (http://ihomebrewing.ca/stainless-steel- ... ottom.html) if you want to buy from a Canadian source.
He has stainless bulkheads there too, and bazooka tubes.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

I see a few different options on MoreBeer, Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer, just not sure which one to get....
posted about mine recently in another thread.

randy over at canadian homebrew supplies has a bunch of options too, and i always like being able to see that stuff in-person before i buy it.