Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

bottling is a b*&%h!!!

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

baulz: do you have two taps coming out the door, then?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

if you don't want to go through the door, you can always use cobra head taps. i had an old fridge with 3 kegs and cobra heads for many years and recently built a chest freezer with room for 6 kegs. going that route also saves on hardware costs - no shanks, no taps, etc. makes for significantly less startup cost.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

JeffPorter wrote:baulz: do you have two taps coming out the door, then?
Yes, 2 taps in the door, I didn't have a good picture of it. I also use a picnic tap inside the fridge when I have 3 on the go. I was really easy to install, just felt weird drilling holes in the door, once you start there's no turning back.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Thanks for that - this might be tricky explaining to my wife...I may have to "struggle" with a few more batches of good tasting beer that she likes, before I can convince her of kegs.

And I did bottling the easy way: 750ml with swingtops...can't imagine doing 54 bottles with a capper!!!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

JeffPorter wrote:Thanks for that - this might be tricky explaining to my wife...I may have to "struggle" with a few more batches of good tasting beer that she likes, before I can convince her of kegs.

And I did bottling the easy way: 750ml with swingtops...can't imagine doing 54 bottles with a capper!!!
I always had help from a friend with bottling, it was the one time I did it myself and had to use that damn capper that I decided kegs were a good investment.

It was early on in my homebrewing hobby, and a big decision to being commited to it going forward. Lucky for me my girlfriend loves beer.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

+1 for Ontario Beer Kegs

As for the fridge, I bought a new display model cheap from Futureshop. It was slightly more than what I had seen for used ones on kijjiji. It had a big scratch in the side, so I talked it down another $100 (it will never be seen in the corner of the basement anyway).

The advantages to new were that I wouldn't haul something home just to have the compressor go and I got an energy efficient model that will save some money in the long run v.s. an old dinosaur. It was also nice to have it delivered; lifting a full carboy and schlepping a fridge are two different things at my age. :wink:

I suggest to you keep an eye out at appliance showrooms for demos. If you are not fussy on appearance, you can get a good price.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Sears has (had?) a scratch & dent outlet in Brampton in near 410 & 7, IIRC
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole