Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

OMG, you guys!!!

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

JeffPorter wrote:You know - I was thinking - we just got a brand new Blue Star gas stove that's pretty powerful each burner is 20 000 BTUs and we got a pretty good new range hood too, that really sucks everything out...

I wonder if I should try indoors once or twice before investing in a outdoor setup - it may work for me - not in the summer, though...Although my basement might not be cool enough to ferment anyway in the summer.
A quick boilover ended my indoor brewing career. You turn your head for just a few seconds, then later on you curse yourself as you try to clean burnt sugar off of a flat top glass stove (it does come out eventually). The smell is also disagreeable to the spouse (but not to the kids)
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

phirleh wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:You know - I was thinking - we just got a brand new Blue Star gas stove that's pretty powerful each burner is 20 000 BTUs and we got a pretty good new range hood too, that really sucks everything out...

I wonder if I should try indoors once or twice before investing in a outdoor setup - it may work for me - not in the summer, though...Although my basement might not be cool enough to ferment anyway in the summer.
A quick boilover ended my indoor brewing career. You turn your head for just a few seconds, then later on you curse yourself as you try to clean burnt sugar off of a flat top glass stove (it does come out eventually). The smell is also disagreeable to the spouse (but not to the kids)
I do a lot of "large quantity stuff" in this kitchen though - 20 litres of veal stock that takes the better part of a weekend, etc so I'm pretty used to watching stuff and temp control etc...but I know wort is different...

Not saying spill overs won't happen. But it might be worth a try anyway to see if indoor works, and if not, to move it all outside...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

beeton

Post by beeton »

This guy does a good job of explaining his process.
Dave ♪

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-st ... ics-90132/

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

JeffPorter wrote:I do a lot of "large quantity stuff" in this kitchen though - 20 litres of veal stock that takes the better part of a weekend, etc so I'm pretty used to watching stuff and temp control etc...but I know wort is different...

Not saying spill overs won't happen. But it might be worth a try anyway to see if indoor works, and if not, to move it all outside...
You'll be fine. My biggest concern with brewing stovetop was whether my stove would bring 7 gallons of wort to a rolling boil. It does fine, it takes some time but the time it takes is usually just a bit longer than the lauter itself so there's really not much time lost on that aspect. It sounds like with your stove it won't be an issue at all.

If you're already doing a lot of large volume stuff then beer will be no different than any of that. Just go for it! Make the process simple and enjoyable so you'll want to repeat it. That's one of my whole goals when brewing.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

Boil overs don't have to happen. Add the first hops slowly, and keep a spray bottle on hand to mist water on the surface if it threatens to boil over.