Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bi-Centennial Brewing Challenge

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

http://books.google.ca/books?id=InU8WdNnvgwC&pg=PA186

TRAVELS THROUGH THE UNITED STATES OF NORTH AMERICA, COUNTRY OF THE IROQUOIS AND UPPER CANADA IN THE YEARS 1795, 1796 AND 1797

"A sort of beer made from the twigs of the spruce fir is likewise drunk here. Molasses and occasionally maple tree sugar are joined with the spruce twigs in brewing this beverage. Here is also another sort of beer much like the former but it is brewed from the young twigs of the birch instead of those of the spruce fir. Both these liquors are very common in Massachusetts and in Canada. Many people are fond of them to me they are disagreeable."

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Maybe time to bring the Sumac out of retirement. Let me know if you need any help or whatnot.
saintjohnswort.ca

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Derek wrote:For a 'local' hop flavour, Goldings and cluster might be good. There was a lot of unintended cross-breading back then.

From the 1851 Great Exhibition:
"Hops from Canada of excellent quality and described as the best that have ever been imported from that country were also exhibited. If these had had less of the flavour technically called the currant leaf they would have been still more valuable."

I wonder if that "currant leaf" flavour is what we now refer to as gooseberry (or cat pee?). Early Cluster hops?

This info on the "Canada hop" is interesting (1899)"
Very probably this is an early ancestor of the Bullion hop which was a reclaimed variety from manitoba. Currant leaf probably refers to the harshness of blackcurrant flavour that Bullion seems to have when used for aroma.
saintjohnswort.ca

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

saints_gambit wrote: Very probably this is an early ancestor of the Bullion hop which was a reclaimed variety from manitoba. Currant leaf probably refers to the harshness of blackcurrant flavour that Bullion seems to have when used for aroma.
That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that!

georgemilbrandt

Post by georgemilbrandt »

Thanks for your research Derek. Very helpful.
George, C'est What

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Ron talkin' history:

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.ca/2012/ ... -1899.html
1st May 1802 - 20th June 1811
No materials other than malt, hops and water allowed.

26th June 1811 - 5th July 1817
Porter brewers were allowed to use a solution of burnt brown sugar to colour Porter only.
Surely it wasn't enforced in the colonies... but I bet the British imports were tastier than they are today! (though I have read that some brewers dumped up to 30% of their brews due to infection).

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Is anyone doing a homebrew for this? or a pilot batch brew at a brewery? I have some ideas I wouldn't mind trying but I am not really set up to do them myself.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Will be doing a porter, if I can find a free day
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

I'm also a bit curious about this from a homebrewer's standpoint.

There seems to be very few details as it pertains to homebrewers being involved in this project. I can understand how a commercial brewer would participate wrt bottles and casks but what exactly are you looking for from a homebrewer? Especially given licensing, distribution, labeling etc., that might be expected at POS.

I would love to have something served at C'est What but would like to have a few more details before I spend a brew day on this one.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

There were more details on their website. The homebrews will be a competition, but not served at the bar.

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Then I must be totally blind or unable to read or both. LOL

I'm seeing the page that had the original link (http://www.cestwhat.com/beer.asp#bicentennial) provided with the blurb that started "In honour of the bi-centennial commemorations of the war of 1812, we are encouraging brewers to submit beers in the early 19th century style for the 2nd Annual Summer Festival Of Craft Breweries at C'est What on June 22nd and 23rd..."

I just don't see any details at all as it pertains to homebrewers.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

georgemilbrandt wrote: I am soliciting help from the local home brewing community to run a similar challenge for amateurs, perhaps leading up to having the winning brew produced professionally in time for Toronto Beer Week.
Has anyone stepped up to run a homebrew competition?

georgemilbrandt

Post by georgemilbrandt »

For home-brewers, my goal here is to drum up enough interest for 1812 style entries in the annual Toronto Beer Week homebrew contest (and help with the logistics of running the competition as well). The winner will be brewed by a commercial craft brewer or failing that by C'est What as our fall seasonal and will end up on tap at CW and other good beer friendly establishments.
George, C'est What