Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brewing calculation software

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

KwaiLo wrote:I downloaded Brewtarget last night, and started to mess about some. So far so good. Free, useable for PC and Mac, as well as Linux. It also imports .xml files.

http://brewtarget.sourceforge.net/
Hope you enjoy it, I've found it a good resource to play with ideas before committing to a brew day
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Scottatron

Post by Scottatron »

KwaiLo wrote:I just dl'ed BeerMate. I have used ProMash for a few years, but the lack of updates is frustrating.

BeerMate looks pretty good so far, but I am going to verify thir numbers against the BJCP site, as they have the naming off for the Scottish 60/70/80.

Thanks Derek, this might just be what I need.
I use Promash and I agree that it could use a good update. It does what I need, which is important, but new hops and malt come out all the time.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

I have been using Promash for years now. You can edit malts, hops, or anything in it. I have my own list of grains, hops etc... I just go to inventory and add my amount. I do have a small issue with Windows 7 though. Sometimes in the note section, it won't save my brew notes. I know it is a Windows thing, but I still like using Promash. I hope we get an update soon, and I get it for free.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Swampale wrote:I do have a small issue with Windows 7 though. Sometimes in the note section, it won't save my brew notes. I know it is a Windows thing, but I still like using Promash. I hope we get an update soon, and I get it for free.
i've noticed the "not saving brew notes" thing a couple of times too, and not exactly sure what causes it. I try to close all the other windows for a session first, then close the notes, then save. close+reopen to make sure it's still there (when i'm most likely to remember any details). i also sometimes copy all the note text if i'm feeling ultra paranoid. quite annoying...

in general, i don't mind promash. it's functional, but it's just getting old. newer features like xml for trading recipes and updated malt/hop databases would be great. i know i can make my own db, but i don't usually have all the exact stats and finding them can be a hassle. having something that works on other platforms would be great too, but i won't hold my breath. i have started dabbling with some others, but still find myself going back to PM as it's familiar and has all my old info in it.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

I tried a few other pieces of software over the last few months, and just last week uninstalled them all.

Back to ProMash it is, until someone develops a web based suite.

I have started to update the db for ProMash, and have deleted much of the info that doesn't apply for us here, grains specific to the US etc. Saving that overwrites the inventory capability of ProMash though, so it is slow going.