Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

honey

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

honey

Post by matt7215 »

anyone got a good source for different varieties of honey in ontario?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Does Applewood sell honey? They make some great mead.

Could check out other mead makers:
http://www.winesofcanada.com/mead.html

I went local here in the Okanagan, and although it was pricey (about $50 a gallon IIRC), it was really good.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

matt, I talked to a lady that runs an apiary supply business in Cambridge, and she told me to go to the Cambidge farmer's market. There is always a guy there who can sell 5 gallon bucket quantity. I bought some honey from a guy who sells out of his house on Dundas, between the hospital and Concession. There is a honey for sale sign out front all the time. Tasty, don't know how it tastes after fermenting yet though, it has only been a month.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

I`ll send you a PM.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

What variety are you looking for?

There was actually a bit of variety at Kelowna's farmers market at decent a price... the Galt market is probably a similar size, could also check Kitchener, Hamilton & London which are a bit bigger.

I was entranced by Applewoods buckwheat mead, but had trouble finding buckwheat out this way. My search lead to some great honey sampling though:
http://www.planetbee.com/products.honey.php

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

St. Lawrence Market North Building SaturdayMorning just to the left of the doors. Nice selection.
saintjohnswort.ca

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

There is someone on the Southern Ontario Brewers list who has a contact for bulk honey purchases.

http://www.areyouansob.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=671

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I believe the OP was looking for specific varietal honey rather than the wildflower honey that's available in the SOB site.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

icemachine wrote:I believe the OP was looking for specific varietal honey rather than the wildflower honey that's available in the SOB site.
You should contact Dutchman's Gold in Carlisle, they have a few varieties of honey available the last time I checked, a little more pricier than what you would pay for off the SOB connection (there were about three different types if I'm not mistaken).
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

thx for the tips guys, im just getting into mead making and wanted to find some local options for honey

im going to start with a bunch of 1 gallon batches and experiment with a few differnent types of honey

jcc

Post by jcc »

Yeah, the honey I've been bringing in on the SOB forum is not any particular varietal, primarily a mix of wild and field flowers. However it is an excellent honey for mead at a very reasonable price ($81 for 14 kg). There is one more delivery coming before the summer on June 12 if you are interested. We'd have to figure a way to get it to you as delivery is to my place in Toronto.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

jcc wrote:Yeah, the honey I've been bringing in on the SOB forum is not any particular varietal, primarily a mix of wild and field flowers. However it is an excellent honey for mead at a very reasonable price ($81 for 14 kg). There is one more delivery coming before the summer on June 12 if you are interested. We'd have to figure a way to get it to you as delivery is to my place in Toronto.
14kg......how is it packaged?

jcc

Post by jcc »

matt7215 wrote:14kg......how is it packaged?
Plastic pail. If my memory serves me correctly it is 2.5 gallons (might be off on that).