Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Head Space in Bottles

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

D Derry

Head Space in Bottles

Post by D Derry »

Is there any reason not to minimize the headspace in the neck of a bottle, filling it to within a millimitre or two from the cap?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

nope

normal fill levels work perfectly

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

What do you mean by "normal", Matt?

I usually fill to about 2/3rds up the neck in a 330ml, as to avoid over-pressurizing the bottle after priming, though I don't know if that is something to really be concerned about
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

icemachine wrote:What do you mean by "normal", Matt?

I usually fill to about 2/3rds up the neck in a 330ml, as to avoid over-pressurizing the bottle after priming, though I don't know if that is something to really be concerned about
sounds perfect

i just fill with my bottling wand until the beer reaches the top, pull out the wand and im left with about 2cm of head space

D Derry

Post by D Derry »

But why leave that much headspace? I'm been filling them to within a few millimetres (not centimetres) lately and haven't had a problem yet--but "yet" may be the operative word, so I thought I'd check whether anyone else has had bad experiences with this. If there is no particular concern, it's obviously preferable to minimize the air. I've notice that St Ambroise lessens the airspace in the bottle neck significantly for their Vintage Ales and, I think, for the RIS too.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

D Derry wrote:But why leave that much headspace? I'm been filling them to within a few millimetres (not centimetres) lately and haven't had a problem yet--but "yet" may be the operative word, so I thought I'd check whether anyone else has had bad experiences with this. If there is no particular concern, it's obviously preferable to minimize the air. I've notice that St Ambroise lessens the airspace in the bottle neck significantly for their Vintage Ales and, I think, for the RIS too.
are you bottle conditioning your homebrew?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I usually fill up to about three finger widths or so from the bottom of the cap.
lister

D Derry

Post by D Derry »

matt7215 wrote:
D Derry wrote:But why leave that much headspace? I'm been filling them to within a few millimetres (not centimetres) lately and haven't had a problem yet--but "yet" may be the operative word, so I thought I'd check whether anyone else has had bad experiences with this. If there is no particular concern, it's obviously preferable to minimize the air. I've notice that St Ambroise lessens the airspace in the bottle neck significantly for their Vintage Ales and, I think, for the RIS too.
are you bottle conditioning your homebrew?
Yes, I am.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I usually go with 1-2cm... reduce oxidation, but leave a bit of space for expansion (more-so for the pour, I'm not worried about explosions or anything).

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

there's volume displacement from your bottling wand. when you remove the wand, you'll have a drop by 1-2 cm. no clue how you're filling to within a few mm of your bottlemouth unless you're talking about the volume with the bottle wand inside the bottle.

D Derry

Post by D Derry »

atomeyes wrote:
there's volume displacement from your bottling wand. when you remove the wand, you'll have a drop by 1-2 cm. no clue how you're filling to within a few mm of your bottlemouth unless you're talking about the volume with the bottle wand inside the bottle.
It's not rocket science. You nudge your the tip of your wand against the side of the neck and it tops it up. And often no nudging is even necessary, because the wand stopper doesn't reseat perfectly and so beer still flows a little as the wand is being withdrawn from the bottle.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

D Derry wrote: It's not rocket science. You nudge your the tip of your wand against the side of the neck and it tops it up. And often no nudging is even necessary, because the wand stopper doesn't reseat perfectly and so beer still flows a little as the wand is being withdrawn from the bottle.
Sounds like you need a new bottle filler if it leaks that much...

I'm also not sure why it is such a big deal to get completely full bottles, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think it is a good idea to have "normal" headspace when bottle conditioning, the yeast may need a bit of O2 to properly do its thing.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

D Derry wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
It's not rocket science. You nudge your the tip of your wand against the side of the neck and it tops it up. And often no nudging is even necessary, because the wand stopper doesn't reseat perfectly and so beer still flows a little as the wand is being withdrawn from the bottle.
great, so you've created a workaround for filling bottles to the top when a wand is, more or less, designed to leave adequate headspace in a bottle due to its volume displacement.

and my wand stopper drips nary a drop. not sure what kind of wand you're using. its a push valve. you stop pushing against the glass, the volume stops flowing.

you're making beer, not preserves. leave 1-2 cm of air space.

D Derry

Post by D Derry »

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll continue to top them up and leave only about 1 cm of headspace (I checked on the weekend, and I had left a little more space than I remembered), notwithstanding atomyes' injunctions, but will give an update if there are any complications down the line.