Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Crazy Canuck Clone

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseMcG

Crazy Canuck Clone

Post by JesseMcG »

Ok - so I want to brew something as close as possible to Crazy Canuck. I'm in the process of converting my buddy to a homebrewer, and he wants to make a batch of APA as close to Canuck as he can. He wants to continue to do this and have it as his house beer.

I'm an extract brewer but after the holidays I'm going to be moving to partial mash. I'm getting one of those 3Gal Bubba Keg Coolers for the mash, as 3Gal is all I can currently boil.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST%2Fbrowse ... 252529.jsp

Anyhow... I'm pretty sure Cascade is the dominate hop in CC, but I could be wrong. And I'm thinking a pretty simple grain bill, 2-row for the mini mash, pale light extra to boost the gravity to the desire OG.

Any thoughts on how to construct this partial mash recipe would be appreciated... thanks!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

you'd might consider a slightly larger mash tun, just to allow for future expansion (and bigger beers). for reference, I use 24gal (2x 48qt) of mash space for 10gal of big beer. you could easily max out a 5gal tun even if you're just doing a 3gal batch. just thinking about setup for future expansion so that $40 3gal cooler doesn't become a throw away. for reference, you can often find 48qt coolers on sale under $20, or even skip the cooler bit and just use a 5 or 6 gal bucket. I still use the old 6gal bucket from the 5gal brewing days for small beers or the occasional small batch.

as for the recipe, betting if you dropped a PM to Lackey he'd at least give you some hints on the recipe. should be a simple task to convert it to partial mash and/or extract - this is a great guide: http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

grub wrote:you'd might consider a slightly larger mash tun, just to allow for future expansion (and bigger beers). for reference, I use 24gal (2x 48qt) of mash space for 10gal of big beer. you could easily max out a 5gal tun even if you're just doing a 3gal batch. just thinking about setup for future expansion so that $40 3gal cooler doesn't become a throw away. for reference, you can often find 48qt coolers on sale under $20, or even skip the cooler bit and just use a 5 or 6 gal bucket. I still use the old 6gal bucket from the 5gal brewing days for small beers or the occasional small batch.

as for the recipe, betting if you dropped a PM to Lackey he'd at least give you some hints on the recipe. should be a simple task to convert it to partial mash and/or extract - this is a great guide: http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf
Thanks for the advice grub. I PM'd Lackey... hopefully he gives up the goods! ;)

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

Please post what you find out. I've been wanting to brew something like it for a while.

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I think it's really great when brewers put their recipes out there. Not just for replication, but it helps the geeks discern the different flavours.

I think the Columbus (Tomahawk or Zeus) hops give a brew that dank, newschool, Piny-the-elder sort of flavour. Simcoe really takes it to another level though.

Thank Lackey!

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Awesome, thanks!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Derek wrote: Thank Lackey!
Hmmm... that was supposed to be "Thanks Lackey!", rather than a demand. :oops:

jcc

Post by jcc »

Derek wrote:
Derek wrote: Thank Lackey!
Hmmm... that was supposed to be "Thanks Lackey!", rather than a demand. :oops:
I'll thank Lackey. And I'll thank him for posting in metric!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

magnum as the bittering hop. cool!

and OP: this recipe only works if you make that quantity. cannot scale down. :)

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Got this bitch in the fermenter. The house smelled great. First time doing a partial mash went well, we hit our numbers on the balls. The smell of the mash is awesome.

We also ended up using Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Dry Ale yeast. Has anyone used it before? Thoughts?

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

JesseMcG wrote:Got this bitch in the fermenter. The house smelled great. First time doing a partial mash went well, we hit our numbers on the balls. The smell of the mash is awesome.

We also ended up using Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Dry Ale yeast. Has anyone used it before? Thoughts?
Brewed this one again, exactly the same but with US-05. We're going to brew it again the same way but with WLP001 as well. It'll be interesting to see what difference, if any, we see with the different yeasts.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

So for anyone interested... the difference between the Danstar BRY-97 and US-05 was pretty noticeable.

The BRY-97 is supposed to flocculate really quickly but I'm not sure it did. This version definitely has some yeast bite. It was fermented around 64-65, and bottled directly from primary after 3 weeks. Left it to carbonate at 70 degrees for 2 more weeks. Cold crashed a few bottles in the fridge for a few days. After pitching it had a solid 48hr lag time. We pitched a single packet, which is actually less yeast than in a packet of US-05. We did get full attenuation. The yeast ring around the primary bucket when we were racking smelled pretty gross. The yeast bite is subsiding a bit now and I'm enjoying them more and more the longer I wait.

The US-05 was fermented at the same temperature, and bottled from the primary after 3 weeks as well. Pitched 1 packet. Virtually no lag time. Conditioned in the bottle for 2 weeks at 70 degrees. Much cleaner yeast, IMO. This beer is really solid, and quite similar to Crazy Canuck, if not exactly "cloned". We're really happy with the results, it tastes great.

Our color is slightly lighter than Crazy Canuck, our body possibly slightly thinner in terms of malt profile, but I think ours has a better nose, probably because it's so fresh.

I'll report back once we've brewed it again with the WLP001.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to brewing this, have some Simcoe on the way. I plan to use US-05 but might get around to ordering WLP001 since OBK has it so cheap now.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Yeah, I'm interested in your WLP001 comparison as well.