Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Building a blow-off tube for your carboys

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Building a blow-off tube for your carboys

Post by atomeyes »

looks like i'll need one for two very active brews.
trying to understand what sized bung one needs (and where to find them).

any suggestions how to DIY?

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

I take the main part of a 3 piece airlock, cut the very tip off, and put a 5/8" (I think this is the size) tube on the plastic piece that sticks up on the inside.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

I've always made due by pushing the tubing hose I use for racking directly into the bung that usually houses the airlock and immersing the other end in a bucket of starsan. It fits tight and I've never had trouble with it becoming loose with pressure. As soon as it's not needed anymore I replace it with an airlock.

Oh, and it's just the normal 6 1/2 bung I have in my carboy for the airlock and a standard 5/16" x 7/16" hose.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I made mine with wide plastic tubing from Home Depot. No need for a bung, the tubing perfectly fits the opening of the carboy. Plus the extra width ensures it never gets clogged.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

markaberrant wrote:I made mine with wide plastic tubing from Home Depot. No need for a bung, the tubing perfectly fits the opening of the carboy. Plus the extra width ensures it never gets clogged.
yeah, this is kind of what i was thinking.
worried about clogs.
do you need to clamp it or does it snuggly fit over the opening?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

J343MY wrote:I take the main part of a 3 piece airlock, cut the very tip off, and put a 5/8" (I think this is the size) tube on the plastic piece that sticks up on the inside.
this is what I do. generally busting out the X in the tip gives you enough of a passage that it won't clog. the only times I've had one plug is when I forgot to remove the X.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

atomeyes wrote: yeah, this is kind of what i was thinking.
worried about clogs.
do you need to clamp it or does it snuggly fit over the opening?
No clamping. The tubing fits inside, not outside.

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

I just use a carboy cap, attach some silicone hose to it and put the other into a 2l pop bottle full of sanitizer. Pretty simple it's worked great for me.