Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Storing opened hops

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MetalHead

Storing opened hops

Post by MetalHead »

How do you folks store your excess hops, pellets or whole leaf? In the freezer? The fridge? Do you go to the lengths or re vacuum sealing? I've got a load leftover from a dipa i brewed yesterday and Want to preserve them as best I can.
Thanks
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

Scottatron

Post by Scottatron »

I store mine in ziplock bags in the freezer. Ideally, you could vacuum seal them in jars if you have the right equipment. There are a few threads on Homebrewtalk about it. I just try and seal the bags with the least amount of air in the bags as possible.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Whole hops - I usually subdivide a 1lb bag into 1 or 2 oz vacuum sealed bags kept in a deep freeze.
Pellet hops - usually in the plastic snap loc boxes for lunches (I take the sticker off the hop bag I bought them in and put it on the box, so I know my AA% and type) also in the deep freeze
Last edited by phirleh on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

If you can smell the hops outisde the bag, they aren't packaged properly.

Vacuum sealed and stored in the freezer are the only way to keep them fresh. They will deteriorate very quickly if stored any other way.