Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2013 Toronto Beerweek Homebrew Competition

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jcc

2013 Toronto Beerweek Homebrew Competition

Post by jcc »

The entry system is now open for the 2013 Toronto Beer Week Homebrew Competition. The registration and entry drop-off deadline is Saturday, June 1 at the Granite Brewery. This years competition is BJCP sanctioned and is open to all BJCP categories.

You can find all rules and information on the competition as well as register your entries at http://www.brewcompetition.ca.

We are also looking for volunteers to act as stewards at the Judging on June 8 and 9. If you are able to help out on either of those days, you can register at the link above.

Jeremy

jcc

Post by jcc »

With just over 2 weeks until the entry deadline, we have some updates on the prizes for the TBW Homebrew Competition.

Toronto Brewing has generously donated a Blichmann Kettle and Beer Gun for the best of show round.

More information can be found about other prizes by liking the Toronto Beer Week facebook page.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Judging has finished and scores are available now... I entered for the first time, and I'm just wondering what the score is out of? It doesn't appear to be the standard BJCP 50 point scale...

Also, will we receive the judging score sheets?

Edit: did some hunting around and found this: "We will be working hard to get judges feedback on your beers out to you as soon as possible and the same goes for those who have won prizes."

jcc

Post by jcc »

You will be getting your feedback. I have all the sheets ready to send out. I just need to print labels, stuff envelopes and package prizes. The aim is to have everything out by the end of the month, sooner if possible.

I must apologize on the scoring. I wasn't aware that the scores would be visible on the site, so in order to get things out quicker we just totaled the judges scores and gave a score out of 150. I suppose I could have pushed 2 more buttons on my calculator to divide by 3, but that would have been 600 more buttons and I tend to make mistakes. The score on the site is out of 150 as 3 judges judged each entry. Hopefully that helps.

Results are here (http://brewcompetition.ca) for those interested.

Jeremy

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

jcc wrote:You will be getting your feedback. I have all the sheets ready to send out. I just need to print labels, stuff envelopes and package prizes. The aim is to have everything out by the end of the month, sooner if possible.

I must apologize on the scoring. I wasn't aware that the scores would be visible on the site, so in order to get things out quicker we just totaled the judges scores and gave a score out of 150. I suppose I could have pushed 2 more buttons on my calculator to divide by 3, but that would have been 600 more buttons and I tend to make mistakes. The score on the site is out of 150 as 3 judges judged each entry. Hopefully that helps.

Results are here (http://brewcompetition.ca) for those interested.

Jeremy
Great, thanks for the quick response!

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

And who are awarded prizes?

jcc

Post by jcc »

First, second and Third (when awarded) in each judging category will get prizes sent as well as the Best of Show and runner-up. Plus there are the Pro-Am prizes as well.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Did anyone else here submit anything to the TBW competition this year?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Nope, was too busy between work and home reno's to get anything going this spring
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

On a whim I submitted a dunkelweizen I brewed for the first time. Very basic recipe, partial mash. This was the first beer I've ever submitted to a competition; I was just curious to get some feedback. I thought the beer turned out OK and I had exactly 3 bottles left at the back of the fridge. I live really close to The Granite, so I thought, what the hell I'll submit it and let the judges tear it apart.

It ended up taking 2nd place in it's category so I thought that was pretty cool :)

jcc

Post by jcc »

For those waiting on their feedback, all prizes and feedback were mailed out today. Thanks to all who entered and helped out with this years competition.

Jeremy