Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

anyone opening their bottle of 3 Fonteinin?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

anyone opening their bottle of 3 Fonteinin?

Post by atomeyes »

I have some bottles at home that i'm aging.
but if any of you home brewers have a bottle and are cracking it open, i'd love to grab the dregs.
there's a distinct yeast strain that's in the 3 Fonteinin yeast that i'd love to play with.
let me know...

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

atomeyes wrote:I have some bottles at home that i'm aging.
but if any of you home brewers have a bottle and are cracking it open, i'd love to grab the dregs.
there's a distinct yeast strain that's in the 3 Fonteinin yeast that i'd love to play with.
let me know...
I opened one about 3 weeks ago, went into a fresh batch of lambic, along with a 2 year old Wyeast pack from a friend, and the dregs from a Jolly Pumpkin Madagruda Obscura.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

I dumped the bottle dregs from mine into a starter that also had Cantillon lou pepe gueuze dregs, and also some from a bottle of matt7215's lambic.

If you don't mind that its not only the 3F dregs, I can split you off a bit at some point.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

J343MY wrote:I dumped the bottle dregs from mine into a starter that also had Cantillon lou pepe gueuze dregs, and also some from a bottle of matt7215's lambic.

If you don't mind that its not only the 3F dregs, I can split you off a bit at some point.
thanks, but i may be trying to isolate the strains.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'll probably be cracking an Armand & Tommy this weekend, would that work?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

squeaky wrote:I'll probably be cracking an Armand & Tommy this weekend, would that work?
hell yeah!
PM me your deets and maybe we can arrange something for sunday.

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

Any luck using the 3F dreg? I'm been thinking opening one of my bottles and pitching it into a couple 1g jugs.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

zaireeka wrote:Any luck using the 3F dreg? I'm been thinking opening one of my bottles and pitching it into a couple 1g jugs.
yep. i was lazy and didn't pitch the dregs for a couple of months.
just put them into around 500 mL of a starter and a nice pellicle formed.
haven't decided if/how i will use it. but totally use the dregs. they're alive.

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

Good to know! I was thinking of pitching into a gallon of low gravity wort and then in a few months combine it with a gallon of 100% sour cherry juice. Hopefully near the end of next summer I'll have some funky, dry kriek.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

zaireeka wrote:Good to know! I was thinking of pitching into a gallon of low gravity wort and then in a few months combine it with a gallon of 100% sour cherry juice. Hopefully near the end of next summer I'll have some funky, dry kriek.
combine it with a high-attenuating sacch strain.
i like abbey yeasts.
don't just pitch with the 3F strain.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

atomeyes wrote:combine it with a high-attenuating sacch strain.
i like abbey yeasts.
depends what you want out of it... yeah, a blend is going to be best for something kriek like, but there's nothing wrong with using the 3F strain alone. 100% brett beers just have a very different character than when they're used in secondary or a blend. I've got a stout fermented with 100% brett trois that i need to sample...
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

grub wrote:
atomeyes wrote:combine it with a high-attenuating sacch strain.
i like abbey yeasts.
depends what you want out of it... yeah, a blend is going to be best for something kriek like, but there's nothing wrong with using the 3F strain alone. 100% brett beers just have a very different character than when they're used in secondary or a blend. I've got a stout fermented with 100% brett trois that i need to sample...
stout with brett trois? you mad, son? :)

honestly, that's a mix that i'd never ever think of. i tried making a 100% brett lambicus stout last year. did it during a snowstorm. boil sucked. 1 year later, i still have it in primary but on sour cherries. it's been there for 2 months and i'll give it 1-2 more. turned out poor. band-aid flavour which hasn't dissipated yet.

the only reason i suggest 3F for secondary is because of me not knowing what it does as a primary yeast. there may also be some sacc still kicking in there somewhere. plus most ppl are too impatient to build a starter from 1-2 ounces of dregs. they don't want to spend 6-8 weeks growing one from brett.

i'm getting 2 new brett strains in next week. apparently a really delicious Brett brux that i'll probably use as a secondary for a blonde or, perhaps, a Bam-inspired clone. one's a weird strain.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

atomeyes wrote:stout with brett trois? you mad, son? :)
they call me mad at the asylum. bwahahaha!
atomeyes wrote:honestly, that's a mix that i'd never ever think of. i tried making a 100% brett lambicus stout last year. did it during a snowstorm. boil sucked. 1 year later, i still have it in primary but on sour cherries. it's been there for 2 months and i'll give it 1-2 more. turned out poor. band-aid flavour which hasn't dissipated yet.
bandaid usually == autolysis, meaning it was left on the yeast too long. more an issue with sacc than bugs, obviously, but something to keep in mind. if it's under attenuated, sometimes you're better to move it off the old yeast and repitch rather than leaving it long-term in primary. 100% brett fermentations are also generally faster (comparable to sacc) rather than the extended aging needed as a secondary yeast.

you sure it was 100% lambicus and not a blend?
atomeyes wrote:the only reason i suggest 3F for secondary is because of me not knowing what it does as a primary yeast. there may also be some sacc still kicking in there somewhere. plus most ppl are too impatient to build a starter from 1-2 ounces of dregs. they don't want to spend 6-8 weeks growing one from brett.
100% brett fermentations are usually far cleaner / less funky than when used in secondary. when used 100% brett brux trois is supposed to "produces a slightly tart beer with delicate characteristics of mango and pineapple". I've also heard it described as "cherry pie", both of which I thought would work in this one. it's only 5gal, (the other half US-05), so I'm not worried.

also have a 100% brett c ipa that i need to check on and move to secondary. that one's less of a wild-card...
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

my beer was fucked to begin with. just a really bad brew day.
never smelled good from the get-go.
part of me thinks/hopes that racking will eliminate some bandaid, since swirling a glass/sample tends to cause the smell to disappear.
and pretty sure it was lambicus. wasn't brux.

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

So what's the consensus, straight 3F or blend? Eitherway I will build up a starter with the 3f dreg. My plans now are to start 2x1gal jugs and then combine them in my 3gal carboy with sour cherry juice. Not sure on timing for adding the cherry juice however. I've brew for quite a few years now but never with bugs.