Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

isolating yeast strains - anyone know how to do this?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

isolating yeast strains - anyone know how to do this?

Post by atomeyes »

just curious if anyone plays around with isolating yeast strains from various beer (especially spontaneous-fermenting beer)?

while i have a small idea of what's involved (agar plates, incubating, possibly microscopes), i'm wondering if anyone in Toronto is actually doing this.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Nate Ferguson is doing it. He does/did work at Grand River Brewing and Niagara Brewing College but he was also working on opening his own brewery or starting a mobile QC lab to service the breweries in this province. Not sure what he is up to these days.

PM me if you want his contact info.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I believe he's at Great Lakes now.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Kish84 wrote:I believe he's at Great Lakes now.
today was his last day, back to Niagara Brewing College, this time as head professor