Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

local spruce tips

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

blakee

local spruce tips

Post by blakee »

hoping to do a brew with spruce tips but all the leads online ship from the US. does anyone local have access to or know where i could source about 1lb? thanks!!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

blakee wrote:hoping to do a brew with spruce tips but all the leads online ship from the US. does anyone local have access to or know where i could source about 1lb? thanks!!
What type of beer are you planning to ruin? :)

Sorry, cant help you, but i am full of witty retorts...

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

blakee wrote:hoping to do a brew with spruce tips but all the leads online ship from the US. does anyone local have access to or know where i could source about 1lb? thanks!!
No spruce trees in any parks near you? You're probably best harvesting the new growth tips in March/April/May, You wouldn't need much, from what I understand a pint is enough (more than enough for some) for a 5G batch

Just the light green bit at the end is what you're looking for

"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't know how they package them (might be pickled or something), but these guys have spruce tips:

http://store-hmv2g3il.mybigcommerce.com ... 190ml.html

They don't have a physical store, but their mailing address is on the Danforth, so I'm pretty sure they're local.

blakee

Post by blakee »

cool, thanks guys! hoping to throw them into a cherry porter... intrigued by descriptions of cola-like flavours. i'll check out that shop on the danforth, hopefully they're just preserved and not pickled haha

blakee

Post by blakee »

actually it looks like the forbes canned spruce tips are pickled... anyone else have any leads?

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

Phone around to places that exclusive sell tea. People drink spruce tip tea so you should be able to find it at a tea store.

blakee

Post by blakee »

thanks for all your help, guys!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

I have some in the freezer I picked from last year, I'll check when I get home. I work in the Queen/Mutual area. If you are interested in trading. PM me if you still need them.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/