Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

First all grain batch, black ipa, need some advice on grain

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

atomeyes wrote:
in your case, my suggestion would have been simple. using a cooking analogy, you were basically grabbing fridge ingredients and tossing them in a pan without any real structure or method to it. for some people, it works. other people need to look at a recipe book and follow the instructions line by line.

so the first mistake you had was not having a true recipe worked out. you could have asked any of us on here to design one for you that would have given you good results.

the next thing i'd suggest is that the apparent lack of recipe structure would make me wonder how you were reaching goals, like sparge and mash temps. so there could have been issues there.

your recipe had a lot going on. probably too much. and that's a shitload of hops going in there at boil. not even sure what kind you used, but you were likely in super-astringent high-IBU territory.

just posting this because it sucks that you were discouraged and you got rid of your equipment. if you're ever in the mood, you're welcome to pop by on a summer day and see why homebrewing can be really enjoyable.
Just to clear a few things up:

I did have a structured recipe, that I built based on suggestions in this thread, things I found on Homebrew Talk, some IPA advice from Mitch Steele of Stone, and my two friends who are very talented brewers.

We worked out a grain bill and hop schedule ahead of time, typed it all up into a recipe building app and worked it out. I just don't remember what it was because I didn't write it down for myself as I had a inkling it would be my last batch.

I brewed it with my brewing friends (who've been at it for nearly a decade) and they did nearly all the work, including the sparging and mashing and they're adamant on hitting target temps and what not.

The hops were 1 oz of Columbus for 60 min, another 1 oz at 10 minutes and then 1 oz of Amarillo, 1 oz of Simcoe and 2 oz of Columbus all at flameout.

So while I understand where your cooking analogy is coming from, that's not really what happened. It wasn't just a random free-for-all.

What really discouraged me from the hobby was when the batch I made before this one didn't carbonate. That's pretty much when I threw up my hands and said "fuck it".

For me it really is a matter of effort I have to expend with what I get in return. I love beer and do have passion for it. I've learned though that that passion just doesn't extend to making it.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

fair enough.
was just hoping to you win you back to the brewing side :)

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

atomeyes wrote:fair enough.
was just hoping to you win you back to the brewing side :)
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to brewing...

Somehow I think there is a tie into The Beer Store here
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole