Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

OCB Week 2015 - June 12-21

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

OCB Week 2015 - June 12-21

Post by Cass »

OCB Week is back for another year:

http://www.ocbweek.ca/

Event lineup getting filled in:

http://www.ocbweek.ca/events/

Session Toronto a part of it again, on June 13:

http://www.sessiontoronto.com/

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Obligatory grumble of OCB not putting actual details in the listings of the most (if not all) events. Great, five course beer dinner, how about food and beer menus so I'm know what I'm potentially getting? Great, tap takeover of...what... :x
lister

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

lister wrote:Obligatory grumble of OCB not putting actual details in the listings of the most (if not all) events. Great, five course beer dinner, how about food and beer menus so I'm know what I'm potentially getting? Great, tap takeover of...what... :x
The breweries put thier own events into the calendar.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
lister wrote:Obligatory grumble of OCB not putting actual details in the listings of the most (if not all) events. Great, five course beer dinner, how about food and beer menus so I'm know what I'm potentially getting? Great, tap takeover of...what... :x
The breweries put thier own events into the calendar.
Regardless the point still stands. DETAILS!!!
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Muskoka:
June 11
OCB Week 2015 Launch Party at Steam Whistle
We invite you to join us in kicking off the 6th Ontario Craft Beer Week celebration on Thursday, June 11th at Steam Whistle Brewing (5p.m. - 8 p.m.). Limited Tickets; Unlimited Samples!

June 12
Muskoka Kill the Cask Night at Laughing Buddah
194 Elgin Street, Sudbury. Muskoka will release its first ever Cask Program in Northern Ontario at this unique but super sweet establishment starting at 6:30 p.m.! Come try it before it’s too late. The Moonlight Kettle Series is something you won’t want to miss!

Survival Session @ Corner Bar Orleans
1779 Tenth Line Road, Orléans, 6 pm - 9 pm
Discover Muskoka’s new Survival Can Pack, featuring 4 sessionable brews to help you survive the heat of the summer. Sample flights, Muskoka trivia, and prizes.

June 13
Session Toronto
Yonge and Dundas Square
Come find us at Session Toronto to sample our Collaboration Nation brew local Muskoka artist Drew Taylor. We’ve created a sweet and tart farmhouse ale with fresh rhubarb grown in Muskoka. Venture off the beaten path and come sample our Drewbarb!

Collingwood Craft Beer & Cider Festival
Find us at the Collingwood Craft Beer & Cider Festival June 13 and 14! Downtown Collingwood will welcome the first annual Collingwood Craft Beer & Cider Festival featuring 25 + of Ontario’s best craft brewers and cideries, food vendors, local merchants and live music from 1 p.m. – 9 p.m. on Saturday and 1 p.m. – 6 p.m. on Sunday.

June 14
The Burger Quest @ The Edge Wine Bar & Grille
205467 County Road 109 Orangeville (Headwaters Racquet Club)
Muskoka Brewery will be sampling our delicious brews in Orangeville at The Edge Wine Bar & Grille while local restaurants determine The King of The Burger! Classic Car show, great food and drinks at this family event in support of some local charities! Rain or Shine, come by for some GREAT times! Starts at 1 p.m.

June 15
Cream Ale 19th Birthday Party at The Local
396 Roncesvalles Avenue, Toronto
Join us for the 19th Birthday Celebration of Muskoka Brewery’s flaghship brand, Cream Ale! We will be celebrating with live music, cupcakes and Cream Ale samples starting at 6 p.m.

Moonlight Kettle Beer Dinner at Hintonburg Public House
1020 Wellington Street West, Ottawa
Join Muskoka Brewery and the Hintonburg Public House for a 4 course meal paired with Muskoka’s finest craft beers, plus a beer cocktail to start. Event begins at 6 p.m.

June 16
Mad Tom & Burger at the Fox & Feather
283 Elgin Street, Ottawa
Nothing cuts through the richness of a juicy cheeseburger better than the bracing
bitterness of a great IPA. Enjoy some Muskoka Mad Tom IPA samples and get a Cheeseburger w/ Fries or Salad for $14.99 from 5pm-midnight

June 17
Hopped Up Hump Day Beer Dinner at Café Belong
550 Bayview Avenue, Toronto
$65 (tax and tip included)
Five course dinner paired with Muskoka Brewery brews. Brewmaster Gary McMullen will join in the festivities. Please contact info@cafebelong.ca or 416-901-8234 for tickets!

June 18
Vote for next Muskoka beer on tap at Fionn MacCools
2331 Appleby Line, Burlington
Come join Muskoka Brewery at Fionn MacCools from 5p.m. -7 p.m. to sample some of our beers and help vote on what style of beer goes on tap next!

Sampling at Darcy McGee’s
44 Sparks Street, Ottawa
Muskoka will be in the house from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. with samples of our Detour sessionable IPA, your new favorite beer!

Muskoka Tap Takeover at Hardrock 42
117 Elm Street, Sudbury
Join us at Hardrock 42 to try Muskoka Brewery’s entire line-up, along with the release of the first ever Moonlight Kettle Series brew, Summer Saison! Learn about our brews, try a couple and buy more brews!

June 19
Survival Session at Hungry Brew Hops
211 Main Street, Newmarket
Come for an evening out in Newmarket to experience Muskoka Brewery’s Survival Sessions flight program. It’s an introduction to our new Survival mixed can pack, a perfect variety of our delicious brews guaranteed to make any summer day that much better! Participate in a quick survival tutorial and enjoy a flight of awesome craft beer. GREAT spot, GREAT food, GREAT beer, GREAT people……….GREAT night! See you there!

Cream Ale 19th Birthday Party at Raven + Republic
246 First Avenue West, North Bay, 4 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Come celebrate this afternoon shindig as Muskoka Brewery and its Flagship Brew, Cream Ale, turn the legal drinking age, the big 1-9! Local DJ hosting with lots of samples n’ swag for all in attendance. We’ll also be hosting a beer and food night for those who enjoy venturing off the beaten path. Tickets are $40 each. If you are thinking of having a unique night out in North Bay, your plans have been made for June 19th.

June 21
Father’s Day Beer Sampling Featuring Moonlight Kettle at Bru
138 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville
Happy Father’s Day! Come join Muskoka Brewery at Bru for a Muskoka Brewery sampling. This event will also feature a keg from our special Moonlight Kettle Series, Summer Saison. It is a one of a kind beer that will only last a short time! Join us from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.

Segwun Steamships Fathers Day Cruise
185 Cherokee Lane, Gravenhurst
Come celebrate Ontario Craft Beer Week and Fathers Day on the Wenonah II
Great prizes, live entertainment, 3 course dinner and of course a beer tasting by Muskoka Brewery 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. Adult $75.00 Child $45.00
Black Oak:
June 13th - We're throwing a BLOCK PARTY with Wellington Brewery AND Sawdust City Brewery! There will be speciality brews, a huge patio, an afternoon BBQ... AND SUNSHINE. Need we say more?! The Corner House Irish Pub 11-5pm.

June 14th - Summer Patio Party on one of the nicest patios in the city! McGugan's Scottish Pub, 2-9pm

June 17th - Join us with our friends from Snakes N' Lagers at Propeller Coffee for Brews N' Boards!
7-11pm with $5 Black Oak Brews

June 18th - Ladies' Pub Strut: a pub crawl for women! SIX stops along the Danforth, 5:30-11pm.

June 19th - Jester on Yonge has gone CRAFT! Come help them celebrate with a free sampling by Samantha with Beau's, Nickelbrook & Great Lakes! 4-7pm

June 19th - Erica will be over at Buster Rhinos in Oshawa, bringing with her CASK ALE! Have a chance to enjoy some of our cask offerings in the Durham region! Free entry, pay-as-you-go, 7pm-11pm.

June 20th (see poster) - Have a toast among the tanks at our Summer Brewery Bash! 2 bars featuring specialty brews, unique cask tappings throughout the night and scrumptious grub from our friends from Greenwood Smokehouse BBQ & Tilde Taco!
$10 = entry plus THREE 12oz brews! ($15 at the door). Hawaiian shirts encouraged.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Do the brewers and the OCB people just not care that there's scant few details on events and that the sheep will come regardless? :-?

I just checked now for events in Toronto and while a few have details, the vast majority of the sampling I checked still don't. Am I supposed to take it upon myself to contact the various brewers and event sites to find out what they plan to do?

At this point I'm only going to one event, the Black Oak Summer Bash thing, which at least lists the food trucks and I have to take it on previous experience that there will be interesting beers there.

Everything else is "do I really want to haul myself across the city to an unknown event?" Magic 8 Ball says "All signs point to no."

Weak sauce people. :roll:
lister

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I was grumbling about not having a ton of events that interested me before but a bunch of us checked out the Beaus dinner at Beast last night. Holy moley! So good.

The amuse bouche croquette was a great intro to the night, and a decent pairing with Lug Tread, which had more fresh bready biscuity malt in the aroma than I remember, to it's benefit.

The best pairing of the night I thought was the Wag The Wolf with and asparagus dish. The dish was interesting on it's own but I think this was the only dish enhanced by the pairing.

The beef heart was the best organ meat I have ever had by far, tender and delicious enough to get past my squeamishness. Decent pairing with the BA Bottle Imp (which was awesome, much better than the regular version imho, especially since I am not a coffee drinker).

The smoked rabbit tenderloin was divine. It had a lot of the kind of smears and swirls on the plate that I often find silly, except in this case they were all amazing sauces, perfect with the delicate rabbit. (The pairing would have worked better with the Wag the Wolf rather than Dunkel Buck imho). Our table was practically licking our plates after.

The pickerel was probably the first time I went back for seconds of fish, green herb sauce was perfect. My first time trying morels and I am now very angry that noone told me about them before! Again, pairing with WTWolf would better imho than the Beaver River, which I confirmed by asking for more of the WTWolf. Or maybe another less malty offering in the Beaus portfolio.

Dessert was a lovely strawberry shortcake, with a hint of basil that I thought unnecessary at first but I came to appreciate the twist on one of my favorite desserts.

Overall one of the best dinners out I have had in ages, and superb "bang for buck". This was my second time eating at Beast and I look forward to a return visit.