Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Kawartha Craft Beer Festival June 20 2015

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

efman

Kawartha Craft Beer Festival June 20 2015

Post by efman »

Taking place in the heart of the Kawartha’s, this first annual Kawartha Craft Beer Festival brings together beer lovers who are ready to sample Ontario’s finest craft beers.
Participants can savour a diverse selection of fresh craft beer, delicious local foods, enjoy live entertainment and have a great time discovering new craft beer flavours!
Located in Downtown Peterborough, taking place at Louis Street Park at Louis St. and Charlotte St., Peterborough. (Main intersection – Alymer St. and Charlotte St.)
http://kawarthacraftbeerfestival.com/

I moved out to Peterborough 3 years ago. Excited that they are starting a beer festival. I drink the Publican House beer whenever I indulge. Only an hour and change from Toronto!

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

I was just going to post this but you beat me to it. Yes, I'll be going but they say they are going to get more breweries which they need.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

efman

Post by efman »

Now up to 8 breweries! And the price is still crazy cheap.

I am not affiliated in any way. I just want it to go well so I have a festival to look forward to every summer.

It's worth the drive to Peterborough! :D

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

8 breweries so far, not bad for Peterborough. I haven't had a few of the breweries beer so I am looking forward to it.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Looks potentially fun....I see there is a campground (Beavermead) not too far away too...

efman

Post by efman »

Here's a review of the event.

Positives:

Price: $10 to get in with 5 tickets. One ticket per full drink. Might not need many more. Only $2 a ticket just the same. Free parking EVERYWHERE!

Beers: We have some really nice beers in the Kawarthas. The host Publican House has a great selection. As does Church Key. Smithworks Brewing Company makes traditional German brews.

Atmosphere: Maybe it's because the kids havnt found this yet. Or that the Universitys are out, but this festival wasn't a drunken frat party that the Toronto festival has turned into.

Negatives:

THE LINES!!! Each brewery had 20min+ lines. Maybe that was on purpose to keep people sober. All the booths were right beside each other. If they were spread out, each one could have 3 points of entry, not one. More servers and less waiting for us!

The whole grounds was concrete. Many people were looking for some grass to lay a blanket and picnic a bit.

I've read complaints that the ONLY beverage available was beer. No soft drinks or even water. An easy fix that I am sure they will remedy next year.

The music was too much Daddy/Daughter singing about the farm. Looking for some more upbeat tunes and maybe some edge. Peterborough has a LOT of music going on at all times. Bring in some bands!

I will definitely go back next year. I know the organizers are good local people that will make changes for the better. I had a great time in spite of the negatives. Looking forward to next year!

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

I waited 45 minutes for a Vienna Lager and they ran out. The brewery beside them ran out very quickly. Yes, I am sure next year they will serve beer quicker and bring way more beer. There was a water cooler there but it was warm. I assume it was for rinsing glasses. We left early because of lack of beer that I haven't had before.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter