Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Jester King in T.O.

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Great event last night. I got there just before 9 and never waited more than a few minutes for beer. A few things ran out before I got there but I was able to sample 6 or 7.
All beers were solid.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

admviolin wrote:Great event last night. I got there just before 9 and never waited more than a few minutes for beer. A few things ran out before I got there but I was able to sample 6 or 7.
All beers were solid.
Same here...fun event!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Talking to the brewers directly and informally was very cool.
Reliable Beer Critic

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Sounds like it was a fun event. I was in MTL for the weekend and evidently they were at Vices et Versa on Friday night and had something on offer from JK. Alas I didn't know about that and when I was there on Saturday it was all gone.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Couldn't make it due to work. :cry: :x

I presume we'll be seeing Jester King across the city at some point, yes? Any mention of draft?
lister

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

lister wrote:Couldn't make it due to work. :cry: :x

I presume we'll be seeing Jester King across the city at some point, yes? Any mention of draft?
I hope so, but, I would'nt hold my breath. This brewery is very small. I seriously doubt that. They don't even have distro in most States.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

BakaGaijin wrote:

I hope so, but, I would'nt hold my breath. This brewery is very small. I seriously doubt that. They don't even have distro in most States.
I passed through Houston and Arlington this year and only saw some JK on tap at World of Beer Arlington...most of the big beer bars didn't even have JK in bottles, or only 1 or 2 of the "main" brews. I imagine only (very expensive) bottles might pop up here.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

BakaGaijin wrote:

think it is a limited run of bottles. US draft on tap in Ontario is like wishing for pigs to fly. ask Tomas from Keep6 to explain our draught distro system in Ontario and why we are limited in what we get and you'll weep.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

My guess is that its similar to Stone a couple of years ago (and some other examples). A negotiated one-off to make a splash in the market and evaluate future opportunities. But I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

They (Jester King and Dunham) were also in Vermont and NS in the last week. This almost seems like a fun paid vacation for the JK/Dunham guys more than any actual market exploration. Even if the ON market were attractive to JK, no way NS makes any sense.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Cass wrote:

My guess is that its similar to Stone a couple of years ago (and some other examples). A negotiated one-off to make a splash in the market and evaluate future opportunities. But I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.
i think it was more of a situation where timing works and JK liked the Keep6 guys, so said they should give it a go.
it won't be like Stone or the pending Lagunitas move-in

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Of course, didn't mean to imply that it was a case of testing the market. But Stone was a one-off at the time done by Keep6 - they didn't come back for years and it was with a different agent.