Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

BCBS 2015

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

brew-san

Post by brew-san »

In line too.. :oops: Ticket 72.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

So only about 160 people lined up. I got in line again and got a second bottle.

That's got to be a disappointment for the GI folks.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Craig wrote:So only about 160 people lined up. I got in line again and got a second bottle.

That's got to be a disappointment for the GI folks.
They got a line up, media coverage and it sold out before noon... that's not a disappointment.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Well, I mean the people they had there were visibly disappointed.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Craig wrote:Well, I mean the people they had there were visibly disappointed.
Maybe, you know, try releasing on the weekend. For many it's not convenient or even possible to ditch work for a few hours.
lister

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

People who work for large organizations think they just have to throw money and resources to get results (viz. Big News Item with people lined up down the street at 830 am).

Stepping back, has the craft brew scene in Toronto matured a little from chasing whales? I think so.
Reliable Beer Critic

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

What's the alternative? 400 people in line and having nearly half of your potential customers leave disappointed?

It's a government beer release on a cold, wet weekday morning, not a party at a brewery on a Saturday afternoon (eg. Motley Crue, Double Tempest).

If they were disappointed, I hope it doesn't mean this was a one time thing. The Migration Week event at the Bank Note earlier this year was fun and it'd be great if they did the Black Friday event again at some more LCBOs.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

northyorksammy wrote:

Stepping back, has the craft brew scene in Toronto matured a little from chasing whales? I think so.
I doubt this very much. More like the Toronto craft beer scene is in such infancy that most of the people who line up for the release of Motley Cru don't even know what Bourbon County Brand Stout is.

Seriously, unless you are into trading beer you probably have no clue what Vanilla Rye is.....the beer trading scene in Toronto, though growing, still seems relatively small.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Standing in line for Motley, Doubtle Tempest, Zwanze, Cask Days and hearing the convos around me, more people than you think probably know what BCBS is.

I think the Friday morning release was a tough sell for the reasons already stated.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I suppose, but the whole point is that it takes place on Black Friday, is it not? I mean, I was at my desk by a few minutes after 10:00 a.m. It didn't require taking a whole day or anywhere close (only applies to those in Toronto of course, but that's two million people).

But I agree that the Goose folks seemed a little disappointed. I'm sure they were looking for a longer line and immediate sell out.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

midlife crisis wrote:But I agree that the Goose folks seemed a little disappointed. I'm sure they were looking for a longer line and immediate sell out.
I wouldn't be so sure... I overheard the group of them talking afterwards and they were all pretty pleased with it. One of them even said (and I quote directly) "I think we did a great job, everyone who deserved a bottle got one."

I showed up just before 10am and was told they had just sold out, and that people were able to get doubles. I'm not bitter about it - made the decision to show up when I did knowing full well I might not get one. At that price I could take or leave. But hearing that phrase irked me a little - "everyone who deserved a bottle got one" - I really don't think any beer requires proving one's worth. I know that's not what was meant, and I'm glad those standing in line in the rain for hours were appropriately rewarded, but it definitely reassured me losing sleep and dipping into my Christmas budget was not worth it.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah, agree that is a bit arrogant. But for the record, it wasn't raining and it was pleasantly warm (for November) so the lineup was no hardship at all.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

still doing the math and the beer equivalents on those bottles.
think the only beer i've spent that $$ on would be some of the Bruery's blends, Black Damnation V...and that's it.
think my Black Tuesday that's coming is cheaper than those beer.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Well, whatever. I have never had it or any of the variants, so justifiable to me as a one-off purchase. Besides, didn't someone post that this is actually a good price compared to the U.S. price (with exchange)? Don't you guys rush to Buffalo every year on the day this beer (or variants) is released? But you're right in that I am expecting my $14 bottle of Double Tempest to be just as good (or close enough) and a much much better value.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

If you actually care about the money, and yet still shell out for slightly less overpriced sours and other barrel stuff for some reason, you can take solace in knowing that the going rate for these bottles is like 100 US online.