Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto Festival of Beer 2016 - Jul 22-24

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Toronto Festival of Beer 2016 - Jul 22-24

Post by Cass »

Interesting news from the TO Beer Fest today about this year's event...
Toronto, ON. (July 5, 2016) - Toronto's Festival of Beer, presented by The Beer Store, is giving Toronto a chance to Sample Sweden! On July 22 to 24, the festival will work alongside the Swedish-Canadian Chamber of Commerce to feature six Swedish breweries, 28 different brands of beer and two renowned Swedish Chefs, inside a 10,000 square-foot zone, at Bandshell Park in Exhibition Place. Bier Markt is the exclusive restaurant partner of the Swedish Pavilion. Sample Sweden is proudly funded by the Government of Ontario and generously supported by IKEA Canada and Volvo Cars of Canada.

"Discovery is a major part of Toronto's Festival of Beer and beer culture in Sweden is growing so fast that making Sweden our feature country this year, was an easy choice," said Les Murray, President of Toronto's Festival of Beer. "It's an opportunity for beer lovers in Toronto and beyond to sample great beer from a region of the world that produces great products."

Sample Sweden will feature some of the country's most adored breweries. Combined, each of these breweries will bring 28 different beers for attendees to sample with the majority of them not available for purchase in Canada. These breweries include:

Brekeriet Beer AB
Dugges Ale och Porterbryggeri
Gotlands Bryggeri
Omnipollo
Poppels Bryggeri
Tempel Brygghus

Two of Sweden's most renowned Chefs will also be in attendance at Toronto's Festival of Beer. Chefs Peter J Skogstrom and Roland Persson are both former winners of Sweden's Chef of The Year award, the country's most prestigious competition for professional Chefs. They will be constructing some of their tasty creations for attendees to feast on in both our Club House La Grille Grilling Tent and in our Sample Sweden pavilion.

"This is a monumental occasion!" said Len Kleine, Chairman of The Swedish-Canadian Chamber of Commerce. "The spotlight is now on the very best of Sweden. Our beer, our Chefs and our culture will be front and centre at Toronto's Festival of Beer."

Toronto beer enthusiasts will have their first taste of Sample Sweden, available at all Bier Markt locations within the GTA, in advance of Toronto's Festival of Beer. The restaurant will feature Leon by Omnipollo, a Belgian Pale Ale that is assertively hopped and fermented dry using champagne yeast, on tap from July 11 to July 24.

Bier Markt will also hold a promotion on food as well! The offer includes one ticket to Toronto's Festival of Beer on the sold out date of Saturday, July 23, with the purchase of both a $15 Swedish dish and a Leon. The bundled offer is $50 + HST and is available until supplies last.

On Friday, July 22, media are invited to attend the official unveiling ceremony of Sample Sweden at Toronto's Festival of Beer in Exhibition Place. This event will take place prior to public access to the festival and is opened by RSVP only through: dav@intelivents.com. Photo and media opportunities with the feature Chefs and the Swedish-Canadian Chamber of Commerce will be available on site, and in advance of the festival by request only.

For more information or to purchase tickets please visit: www.beerfestival.ca. Use promo code SWEDEN to save $5 off general admission tickets.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

ISO free tickets. I'm curious to check out again for the first time in years but not willing to pay for it.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Anyone heading there tomorrow? I've got tix for Friday - if anyone wants to have a beer I'll be there :)

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I used to go on Fridays with early bird tickets....that first hour was always the best....and I'd leave by 8 or so.
Have fun whoever is going!

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Cass wrote:Anyone heading there tomorrow? I've got tix for Friday - if anyone wants to have a beer I'll be there :)
Be sure to swing by the Horizon booth to say hi! :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote:Anyone heading there tomorrow? I've got tix for Friday - if anyone wants to have a beer I'll be there :)
I got snaggled into my local Beach Jazz Festival. Pretty intense crowd Friday, probably same tomorrow.
In Beerum Veritas

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Any reviews of the Swedish tent?

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

DeMarco wrote:Any reviews of the Swedish tent?
Vicariously through a friend who went I hear they had some on point stouts.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Swedish tent was legit. Interesting beers, not overpriced (1 or 2 tokens/half glass which was in line with others at the fest).

The Swedishness outside of beer was a bit cheesy (ABBA cover band), but the beer was great.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

I'm surprised anyone from BT would attend this fest. Unless tickets were free.
Supporting TBS? Not me. Sorry.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

FEUO wrote:I'm surprised anyone from BT would attend this fest. Unless tickets were free.
I got burned a couple times with mediocre beer festivals. Even went to one with free "media" tickets. Even with the free tickets, I could find enough beers I wanted to try to stay more than 20 minutes. Now, some of them may have some gems here or there. But most of them do not. It's just hard to get up the motivation to pay a lot of money to get in, get average beer, and then wait in line for a porta potty.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

FEUO wrote:I'm surprised anyone from BT would attend this fest. Unless tickets were free.
Seriously? Who here would turn down the opportunity to spend time with a bunch of heatstroked amateur drunk frat boys fist bumping and puking? Where else could we enjoy the fashion show of ball caps and billboard jerseys perfectly blending in with Corona reps? :P
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.