Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Zwanze 2016 @ Volo - Oct 1

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Zwanze 2016 @ Volo - Oct 1

Post by Cass »

Zwanze Day moves to Volo's new location on College Street.

https://www.facebook.com/Brasserie-Cant ... 3/?fref=nf

(plus Thin Man in Buffalo)

UPDATE - Zwanze is being held at Volo's original location, not College St. as originally reported.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

no word on tickets?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Last year they sort of did tickets, but anyone could line up for a taste without a ticket. IIRC it's pretty easy to get a sample nowadays.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Cantillon posted up on Facebook an update that Zwanze would actually be at Volo for 'its last night'. Something I suspected would be the case, looks like that will be the big finish to Volo on Yonge.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Cass wrote:Cantillon posted up on Facebook an update that Zwanze would actually be at Volo for 'its last night'. Something I suspected would be the case, looks like that will be the big finish to Volo on Yonge.
i emailed Thomas for clarification and haven't heard back from him yet.
not sure if this means Oct 1 is old Volo's last night, or if we're getting a delayed Zwanze.
if it's the latter, i'm sure some will double dip and drive to Thin Man for Zwanze as well

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Staff at Volo have been telling patrons that Oct 1 is the unofficial official last day. No mention about Zwanze one way or another though.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Napalm Frog wrote:Staff at Volo have been telling patrons that Oct 1 is the unofficial official last day. No mention about Zwanze one way or another though.
I would imagine that they will be open for a few more days after the event to finish off the kegs from Zwanze Day. That beer can't be transported so anything on tap leftover would have to be dumped.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Wonder when we are going to hear anymore about this, most North American venues already have tap lists and ticket information out already (some for weeks now).

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

PeenSteen wrote:Wonder when we are going to hear anymore about this, most North American venues already have tap lists and ticket information out already (some for weeks now).
It sounds like between opening a new bar, closing a bar, working on another bar, dealing with cask days and also zwanze they are in pretty deep right now. I got that impression from the boys when I visited birreria volo, and I don't blame them. It sounds like they are still working on something special for the last day.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

DeMarco wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:Wonder when we are going to hear anymore about this, most North American venues already have tap lists and ticket information out already (some for weeks now).
It sounds like between opening a new bar, closing a bar, working on another bar, dealing with cask days and also zwanze they are in pretty deep right now. I got that impression from the boys when I visited birreria volo, and I don't blame them. It sounds like they are still working on something special for the last day.
Yeah, I don't doubt that this is the busiest they have ever been with everything going on at the same time. I'm sure zwanze day will be great like it has been every year and a great last night at volo on top of it.

On instagram last week or so they mentioned details coming soon, mostly why I was wondering.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

PeenSteen wrote:
DeMarco wrote:
Yeah, I don't doubt that this is the busiest they have ever been with everything going on at the same time. I'm sure zwanze day will be great like it has been every year and a great last night at volo on top of it.

On instagram last week or so they mentioned details coming soon, mostly why I was wondering.
as an aside:
Jolly Pumpkin released their Zwanze list. it's absolutely insane.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

PeenSteen wrote:
DeMarco wrote:

as an aside:
Jolly Pumpkin released their Zwanze list. it's absolutely insane.

gjkerr

Post by gjkerr »

Anonymous tip reveals that Zwanze will be at the original Volo as part of the "last day" celebration. No tickets. 15-20 Belgian lambics.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

gjkerr wrote:Anonymous tip reveals that Zwanze will be at the original Volo as part of the "last day" celebration. No tickets. 15-20 Belgian lambics.
Not an anonymous tip. A well known fact.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Here's the details for Volo's last week:
LAST DAYS OF VOLO
From Monday, September 26th to Saturday, October 1st we will be celebrating the last week of Bar Volo on Yonge St. The plan? Put together the best possible list of beers on tap we can find and celebrate 28 years of business at this location (and our re-location to 582 Church St). All beers (12oz and 16oz servings) will be $5.00 all week long. Here are our hours: Monday to Wednesday (4pm-2am), Thursday-Friday (2pm-2am), Saturday (4pm-2am). We are also clearing out our cellar and will have very special off-menu releases. Hope to see you there!

CANTILLON ZWANZE DAY
It is with great pleasure to announce that on Saturday, October 1st, 2016 our last day of business at 587 Yonge St. will also be Cantillon Zwane Day - world-wide celebratory release of a limited one-off lambic beer made by Brasserie Cantillon. Given this is our last day of business, we will not be selling advanced tickets and the Zwanze will be made available starting a 4pm on a first come first serve basis. Price and serving size will be made available at the event. We will do our best to limit the samples to one per guest. If you are keen on trying Zwanze please arrive early to avoid disappointment as there is only a limited amount of pours per keg.

LIMITED GLASS
We will have a limited edition Zwanze Day 2016 / Last Day Of Bar Volo glass available on Saturday, October 1st, 2016:
http://www.barvolo.com/blog/lastdaysofvolo

ZWANZE 2016: DESCRIPTION
When I was a kid, I would come to the brewery to lend a hand during my summer vacations. My father needed help refilling barrels of lambic with sour cherries and raspberries that came to the brewery by the ton. I would go home with red hands and a small case of indigestion after having stuffed myself, too! At the time, sour cherries and raspberries came from the Pajottenland, harvested within about ten kilometers of the brewery: local fruit for a local beer. The summers were subject to the whims of the weather, going from sunny and hot one year to wet and cold the next. Being finicky fruit, raspberries were particularly sensitive to the changing weather, and went from being very flavorful and brilliant red to bland and colorless – something that of course determined the degree of acidity and the color of our Framboise Lambic.At the beginning of the '80s, we compensated for the lack of color in our Framboise with the addition of Kriek Lambic. The excessive acidity added by the fruit was tempered by the use of vanilla. This is how, during the decade to follow, Cantillon Framboise evolved into a blend of 75% raspberries, 25% sour cherries, and .05% vanilla. Throughout the '90s, with increasing demand for housing, labor costs rising, and artificial flavors and syrups coming into use by many of the Lambic brewers, there was an almost complete disappearance of cherry orchards and raspberry farms in the Pajottenland. We were therefore forced to look for our fruit outside of Belgium. Today, our raspberries come from Serbia. Brighter, more flavorful, and more consistent than their Belgian cousins, these Serbian raspberries mean we no longer need to turn to cherries and vanilla to make our Rosé de Gambrinus, which is now 100% raspberry. For Zwanze 2016, I wanted to do a bit of a throwback and revisit one of these old blends. Since the intensity of today's Rosé de Gambrinus approaches that of the Kriek, the additions of cherries to the raspberries no longer seemed necessary.

Instead, we had to turn to a fruit that would bring more intense color and flavor sufficient to stand out. My choice was to bring in the blueberries that we've used for the last ten years to create our Blåbær Lambic, a special beer done for the Danish market. For our third ingredient, we've opted to use the finest possible Bourbon vanilla beans. During the '80s we used vanilla extract for reasons purely financial. Traditional Lambic-based beers were, at the time, under-appreciated and the breweries that produced only spontaneously fermented beers struggled to make ends meet. Cantillon was no exception, and it was impossible for us to use real vanilla in our Framboise. Zwanze 2016 is the new incarnation of what should have been during the dark years of Lambic. To best appreciate the complexity of this beer, we suggest tasting it at a temperature of 12 to 15° C (55 to 60º F). Don't hesitate to warm your glass a bit if the beer is served too cold.

We've stepped back in time 30 years for Zwanze 2016, which is the result of a blend of 82% raspberries, 18% blueberries, and .05% Bourbon Vanilla beans, on which we've aged two-year-old Lambic at a rate of 300g fruit per liter.

À votre santé et vive le Lambic!

Jean