Zwanze

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Re: Zwanze

Postby Cass » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Hard to say if it was legendary. On tap when I was there was also Gueuze, Saint Lamvinus & Vigneronne IIRC. There were also a number of bottles that people were clamouring for (I remember Lou Pepe, as that ran out while I was standing at the bar).

Personally I don't think Zwanze needs to be coupled with a crazy list that amplifies the excitement to unreasonable levels. I kind of like that the event has matured a bit where it's a special night, but not one that is so nutty that there are lineups (and in turn disappointments). If there was a line last night I would have just walked on right by. Since it was calm I went, which is something I enjoyed and made it unlike previous years - in a positive way.
JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Postby JerCraigs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:41 pm

We got there early and lined up pre-opening, which we apparently didn't need to do. We had a great time, had a very chill afternoon and enjoyed a bunch of beers, a tuna sandwich and some fried chicken! I feel like the no ticket thing may have back fired - people just assumed it would be crazy and stayed away maybe? They kind of can't win - The previous Cantillon even sold out super fast and people grumbled about the price or not getting a ticket. No tickets for this and people complained about it! :)

I enjoyed the Zwanze beer but enjoyed the Cantillon Geuze more. The change to try sample pours of some of the Oxbow and Cascade stuff was also nice rather than commit to a bottle. the Oxbow 3 Barrels Deep was excellent. Some nice Ontario offerings as well.

Anyways, my two cents. Had a lovely day of it.
Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Postby Craig » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Bottles have always been available by the pour at this event.
rejtable
Bar Fly

Postby rejtable » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:43 pm

So... I can maybe rearrange some planned travel to Europe in late September to be in Brussels for Zwanze 2018. Anybody have any insight/experience on whether it's worth the effort? It would mean extending my trip by about 4-5 days, which isn't negligible from a budget/vacation time perspective. I certainly love the idea of being there for Zwanze day, but is the area and associated events a shit show?
rejtable
Bar Fly

Postby rejtable » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:36 am

Just circling back to this, Zwanze at Moeder Fontainas was aweseome!! Busy but service handled it fine. Burlesque performers, insane Cantillon tap list, great night!! And the 3 days of drinking at Cantillon and 3F leading up to it were incredible.

Return to “Beer Events”