Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Cider Week - May 30-June 6

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Ontario Cider Week - May 30-June 6

Post by Cass »

Ontario Cider Week is back with a week of events.

http://ontariocraftcider.com/cider-week-2015/

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

June 6 8)

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Looks more like "Toronto Cider Week" to me.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Looks more like "Toronto Cider Week" to me.
Imbibe and the Wooly in Guelph are supposed to have events as well.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

At Brux House:
Brux House To Celebrate Ontario Cider Week

Brux House in Hamilton, Ont. is pleased to announce the Locke Street South restaurant will be participating in Cider Week from May 30-June 6, 2015.

In partnership with the Ontario Craft Cider Association, Brux House will be celebrating local hard cider and the artisans who craft the beverage with:

· A tap list featuring 10 Ontario ciders from area producers

· Cider-inspired menu items that complement the beverage

· Flights for patrons to sample various cider styles

The event offers the opportunity to experience limited-release and specialty ciders, which showcase the best of Ontario fruit from producers such as Revel Cider Company, Spirit Tree Estate Cidery, and Hamilton’s own, West Avenue Cider.

Bar_Hop

Post by Bar_Hop »

I've posted the list for our event here if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10254

Matt

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

mahcinesquad wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Looks more like "Toronto Cider Week" to me.
Imbibe and the Wooly in Guelph are supposed to have events as well.
Do you know when the Imbibe event is?
"There's always money in the banana stand."

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Looks like The Only Cafe is doing a seminar and tasting. Any idea what the lineup is for the tasting? I'm sort of reluctant to spend $25 when I have no idea what's included.

The BarHop one looks interesting. I love BarHop, but I often find if I order 4 oz tasters at their special events that they're priced surprisingly high. It's also usually not listed, so it's a surprise when I get the bill. Don't get me wrong, still love BarHop :)

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

So I dropped by The Only Cafe last night, not for the seminar, but just to taste things. I have to say, first, that I love this place. They were still doing their incredible taster deal $10 for 5, 5-oz pours of anything on tap or in the bottles. Even though their dishwasher was breaking glasses left and right, the bartenders stayed calm even with lineups. Two thumbs up.

I tried a good number of the ciders. I'm more of a beer person than a cider person, but I became a bit of a convert recently at the bar Upcider in San Francisco. There they had lots of amazing Spanish and French farmhouse ciders that were funky and/or sour and with incredible depth. Sadly none of the Ontario ciders come anywhere close. My favourites were the Spirit Tree crabapple cider, which is deliciously sour and bracing. Second up was a dry-hopped cider. Most of the on tap offerings from West Avenue, Twin Pines, and Spirit Tree were just way to sweet for my taste. The bourbon barrel aged cider was also quite strange, as the flavours did not meld at all. It was a medicinal tasting cider with wood flavours on top of it.

Overall, I was thrilled to get the chance to experience some local ciders. They're not really competitive with what I've tasted from Europe, but interesting nonetheless.