Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Recreation of a 1944 Beer and Food Tasting, at Dora Keogh's, August 5

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Recreation of a 1944 Beer and Food Tasting, at Dora Keogh's, August 5

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Cass Enright has kindly agreed I can post this event notwithstanding that I have some involvement in it. Thank you Cass, it's a typically generous gesture from someone who has done huge service to the Ontario beer community.

Dora Keogh Irish Pub, on Danforth at Broadview, with some involvement from yours truly, will on August 5 present a recreation of a beer and food tasting held way back in 1944, in the dark ages of beer appreciation. Some far-sighted people at the time were thinking about beer in ways very similar to today: as often happens in various areas of culture and knowledge, they were ahead of their time. The tasting is intended to honour their vision, try to imagine the evening as they experienced it, and have some fun.

I give further background here: http://www.beeretseq.com, see last posting in my new blog. A copy of the original (1944) menu is included with the August 5 Program embedded in my post. Whether those reading can attend or not, I'm sure they will agree that original menu makes for fascinating reading.

Hoping some of you will be there.

Gary Gillman
Gary Gillman

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Cass Enright has kindly agreed I can post this event notwithstanding that I have some involvement in it. Thank you Cass, it's a typically generous gesture from someone who has done huge service to the Ontario beer community.

Dora Keogh Irish Pub, on Danforth at Broadview, with some involvement from yours truly, will on August 5 present a recreation of a beer and food tasting held way back in 1944, in the dark ages of beer appreciation. Some far-sighted people at the time were thinking about beer in ways very similar to today: as often happens in various areas of culture and knowledge, they were ahead of their time. The tasting is intended to honour their vision, try to imagine the evening as they experienced it, and have some fun.

I give further background here: http://www.beeretseq.com, see last posting in my new blog. A copy of the original (1944) menu is included with the August 5 Program embedded in my post. Whether those reading can attend or not, I'm sure they will agree that original menu makes for fascinating reading.

Hoping some of you will be there.

Gary Gillman
I will be on vacation, it sounds like fun. Certainly unique. 1944 prices too?
Reliable Beer Critic

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I should add, since a couple of friends asked, I understood from the pub that the servings are 4 oz for each beer listed (there are 12 beers) except the first beer, which is a larger amount (I guess what a flute typically holds).

Hors d'oeuvre are so-called two-bite size. Pub can confirm this or other clarifications needed by e-mailing the address mentioned on first page of Program.

I will make some remarks as well at the event, giving further background and context.

Gary
Gary Gillman

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Very cool idea. Nice to see a tasting with a twist!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Thanks and also see here, same info with more graphical interest: www.allens.to/dora

Gary
Gary Gillman

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Old Faithful? You look considerably younger than I had expected...
http://www.beeretseq.com/author/gary/

I've always appreciated your insightful comments. I'll certainly try to check your blog once in a while!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

As one beer item has been (partly) revised, just posting the final menu: http://www.allens.to/dora

Thanks also to Derek for your comments.

Gary
Gary Gillman