Zwanze Day 2015

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1655
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby Craig » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Is it possible that this awful beer, which I didn't try, was just exhibiting the symptoms of immature Brett? I've noticed that a few times at funk night in the past, but you could conceivably give one of those beers a wider release down the road and it would be fine.
AugustusRex
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 1:13 pm

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby AugustusRex » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:24 pm

Craig wrote:Is it possible that this awful beer, which I didn't try, was just exhibiting the symptoms of immature Brett? I've noticed that a few times at funk night in the past, but you could conceivably give one of those beers a wider release down the road and it would be fine.


What is immature Brett?
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1655
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby Craig » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:28 pm

Fruity in a bad way. Phenolic. Hard to describe, for me.
ercousin
Posts: 453
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:05 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby ercousin » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:49 pm

immature brett to me means this: http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Tetrahydropyridine

The cheerios flavour that you get in young brett beers. I apologize in advance for the biology stuff in that wiki, very good content and sources though.
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/
User avatar
Dennis
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 9:14 am
Location: Huntsville

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby Dennis » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:39 am

Was there and for the most part had a good time - ran into a few folks from BT. Also really enjoyed the Ducato bottles (esp. the Krampus).

Was hoping they would kick out that idiot in the red shirt who jumped the line.
Last edited by Dennis on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
liamt07
Bar Fly
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Downsview/Toronto

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby liamt07 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:31 am

talon_d wrote:Was there and for the most part had a good time - ran into a few folks from BT. Also really enjoyed the Ducato bottles (esp. the Krampus).

Was hoping they would kick out that idiot in the red shirt who jumped the link.


He cut in 2-3 people behind us. I know exactly what he looks like - fucked up front teeth (brush your teeth, pal) and a weird crooked smile. And he was with a buddy that had a black Philadelphia Eagles hat. Wont forget that face anytime soon.
User avatar
Dennis
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 9:14 am
Location: Huntsville

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby Dennis » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:36 am

liamt07 wrote:
talon_d wrote:Was there and for the most part had a good time - ran into a few folks from BT. Also really enjoyed the Ducato bottles (esp. the Krampus).

Was hoping they would kick out that idiot in the red shirt who jumped the link.


He cut in 2-3 people behind us. I know exactly what he looks like - fucked up front teeth (brush your teeth, pal) and a weird crooked smile. And he was with a buddy that had a black Philadelphia Eagles hat. Wont forget that face anytime soon.


Did the staff react at all? I was about 20-30 people back and thought I heard some yelling but couldn't tell if there was much of a reaction?
PeenSteen
Bar Fly
Posts: 716
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby PeenSteen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:52 am

One of them also had a pink elephant Delirium tattoo on his forearm
frozentee
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby frozentee » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Strange, I had Sweet Nothing at the Brewhouse yesterday and thought it was good. Never had it at Volo, but it must have just been a bad keg.
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby atomeyes » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:59 pm

frozentee wrote:Strange, I had Sweet Nothing at the Brewhouse yesterday and thought it was good. Never had it at Volo, but it must have just been a bad keg.

can you give us your opinion re: stuffed baked potatoes? indifferent, a fan or love them more than life itself?
frozentee
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby frozentee » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:07 pm

atomeyes wrote:
frozentee wrote:Strange, I had Sweet Nothing at the Brewhouse yesterday and thought it was good. Never had it at Volo, but it must have just been a bad keg.

can you give us your opinion re: stuffed baked potatoes? indifferent, a fan or love them more than life itself?


It didn't taste anything like that....was refreshing, with a clear peach aroma which carried through the taste, with a dry, tart finish.
User avatar
boney
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby boney » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:28 pm

Good event with the Volo staff admirably handling those first crazy few hours very well. I can'tsay I tried many of the Ontario offerings, sticking to a few (holy pricey!) Cantillon pours, JK bottles, the HF/GR taps and thr Quebec offerings. Didn't try the offending beer, but heard about how bad it was. Stayed until about 8. Lines were almost non-existant between 6:30 and 8:00.

Line jumpers were indeed particularly bad this year. No one I recognized, but probably par for the course with more and more people discovering craft beer. You take the good with the bad.

Oddly enough, aside from the Cantillon, my favorite beer of the night might have been the House Ales Impy Stout with Brett. Brett was pretty subdued, but the stout was just a great stout.
sprague11
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1903
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:37 pm
Location: Newmarket, ON

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby sprague11 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:00 am

The lineups moved as quick as they could given Volo's available spacing and the amount of people that were there. My issues were more with pricing and selection (and I recognize some of that was beyond Volo's control). Outside of the Bellwoods, Ontario has a long ways to go in the sours department.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby atomeyes » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:27 am

sprague11 wrote:The lineups moved as quick as they could given Volo's available spacing and the amount of people that were there. My issues were more with pricing and selection (and I recognize some of that was beyond Volo's control). Outside of the Bellwoods, Ontario has a long ways to go in the sours department.


it's weird. Amsterdam was leading the charge 2 years ago. they were doing some really nice sour stuff. i feel like that program's kind of faded into the background.
besides Amsterdam and Bellwoods, i can't think of another Ontario brewery doing exceptional sours. Forked River?
napoleon
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Zwanze Day 2015

Postby napoleon » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:31 am

atomeyes wrote:it's weird. Amsterdam was leading the charge 2 years ago. they were doing some really nice sour stuff. i feel like that program's kind of faded into the background.
besides Amsterdam and Bellwoods, i can't think of another Ontario brewery doing exceptional sours. Forked River?

You're completely right! Amsterdam really surprised me with some excellent sours and barrel-aged beers two years ago. I don't really know what's become of that program. Haven't had any sours from Forked River yet. I think Great Lakes has had a few good sours in the past, but I'm struggling to name any right now.

Return to “Beer Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron