Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Zwanze Day 2015

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Have Forked River made sours? The closest I can think of is their saison, which isn't really sour.

Stone City did a sour this year that was good, hopefully they do more. King City did a couple last year that I heard were pretty good, I think they were trying out a couple of strains of Escarpment yeasts. I have one of each in the cellar, but haven't tried them yet. Side Launch, of all people, had a sour at the Golden Taps last night. Wellington have been doing more sour one-offs lately, which I haven't tried but have heard are better than you might think, again I think because of exposure to the Escarpment guys.

That said, I think the only outfit outside of Bellwoods who are actually running a real sour program right now is probably West Avenue. They've done loads of sour ciders that are mostly pretty great.

MattS

Post by MattS »

I personally haven't thought much of Wellington's sour efforts - they've been very bready, which isn't to my taste. Not sure if it counts as a sour program, but the Wild Child Berliner Weisse out of Black Swan in Stratford is excellent.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

I also liked the wild child. Very approachable
Reliable Beer Critic

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Love Wild Child. There's a restaurant in town (Taco Farm) that has served it with different house syrups on the side, I've only had the pineapple agave but it was damn good.

I was at the Bent Elbow a few months ago and asked for a splash of FM 12 Minutes of Destiny in it, and it was pretty stellar, they ended up putting it on their specials menu.
"There's always money in the banana stand."