Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Leslieville Beer Fest - Aug 27, 2016

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sstackho
Bar Fly

Leslieville Beer Fest - Aug 27, 2016

Post by sstackho »

Another beerfest. Apparently you can buy "Leslieville vs Everybody" T-shirts.

http://www.leslievillebeerfest.com/#lbf1

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Not to knock these guys (don't know who's behind it), but the generic template-ness of fests like this nowadays is tiring. It doesn't seem like this is unique in any way whatsoever, and I can see really no reason that I'd want to go to this. You know that the breweries will only be bringing their main lines to this, and frankly I'd rather just spend $20 at a bar with good selection. Just seems lazy - I mean who needs another 'commemorative glass'?

Or am I just being ornery & crotchety today?

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Cass wrote:Not to knock these guys (don't know who's behind it), but the generic template-ness of fests like this nowadays is tiring. It doesn't seem like this is unique in any way whatsoever, and I can see really no reason that I'd want to go to this. You know that the breweries will only be bringing their main lines to this, and frankly I'd rather just spend $20 at a bar with good selection. Just seems lazy - I mean who needs another 'commemorative glass'?

No, I definitely feel the same way.

Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

I've found out it's organized by a real estate agency. Pretty much tells you all you need to know. A beer festival being run by a real estate agency is just sooo Leslieville. Every day I get at least 3 or 4 garbage real estate fliers in my mailbox.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Let me guess...Matt and Ben?

This does seem like a bit of a bland festival, but that's alright. I think it's for locals more than it is for us. We don't get many real festivals like this in the East end.

The only plus is they have quite a bit of space allocated if they actually shut down that much of Dundas, and it should be right in front of that huge piece of graffiti, so it could be kinda pleasant.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I agree it's more of a local festival, same for that Brantford one.
Nothing wrong with every neighbourhood having its own little beer fest. If there was a Parkdale beer fest, I'd probably go just because of convenience and not expect anything extra special.

ChampionsPrerogative

Post by ChampionsPrerogative »

Did anyone actually attend this? It's relatively close to where I live, but I was out of town. Would like to hear any opinions, good or bad.
Me and the boys and our 50. Me and the boys and our beer!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote:Not to knock these guys (don't know who's behind it), but the generic template-ness of fests like this nowadays is tiring. It doesn't seem like this is unique in any way whatsoever, and I can see really no reason that I'd want to go to this. You know that the breweries will only be bringing their main lines to this, and frankly I'd rather just spend $20 at a bar with good selection. Just seems lazy - I mean who needs another 'commemorative glass'?

No. I checked this out and it mostly looked like a waste of a nice day to be frank.

It seemed a bit naive and self-impressed like 'look at this rah rah!' but most of your entry cost is for the glass, plus taxes, plus 'transaction fee' plus beer tickets to actually taste much at all - I quickly lost interest seeing little there nearly as exciting as a good day at The Only Cafe.

Only pluses would be the locale and being social.
In Beerum Veritas

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

ChampionsPrerogative wrote:Did anyone actually attend this? It's relatively close to where I live, but I was out of town. Would like to hear any opinions, good or bad.
I went with some friends, good times were had by all. No surprises from the breweries, but great weather and a decent crowd.